Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Break light came on

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break light came on

So earlier I was driving and had to slam on my breaks and when I did my break light came on and now it wont turn off. I felt before that happened that it took me pushing the pedal a lot further down than normal.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder, the light will come on if the fluid gets low -due to barake pad wear (pads getting worn, time to replace), leak etc. Check this first, maybe just have to add some fluid to make the light go out. Then check as to why the fluid was low.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so i got home and checked under the car there are no leaks that I can find. The fluid wasnt low. Someone told me that when I turn the key on engine off that they could hear the ABS block click Could my ABS block have gone out?

And also the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Last edited by lethal bird; 11-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Regular

The abs light should illuminate if there is an fault with it. The circuit does a self check when you turn the key on. If the pedal goes to the floor, it sounds like there is air in the system somehow. There could be a prob with abs block too, but I would try to get your pedal back first by bleeding your brakes a wheel at a time. Start with pass rear, then driver rear, pass front and driver front last. It might be a good time to flush the brake system anyway. Also, tap each caliper with a wrench with the bleeder open when bleeding each wheel to "dislodge" bubbles in the caliper. Maybe someone with more experience could chime in here. Don't drive the car with the pedal like that.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No abs light just the brake. I know its not the switch under the console. Im going to bleed the breaks tomorrow. When i engage the ebrake now i hear a loud click/clunking sound.