Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

School a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School a newbie

I just bought this car, and it rides absolutely HORRIBLY. I understand that a lowered car won't ride as well as a stock one, but this car is almost un-driveable when not on the expressway. It feels like there is no suspension at all. I know that it does have hotchkis lowering springs, and some sort of koni shock. Are koni shocks wrong to use with these lowering springs or anyone tell from this picture why the car rides so badly?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd change the springs.... that picture is 100% a perfect example of why I don't love the Hotchkis springs. They are almost all coil-bound (this pic is hanging in the air, it's way worse on the ground).

I have no idea where the Koni's are set, and if they are say full stiff that won't make for a very nice ride. I don't know what is going on with the rear suspension, like what kind of LCA's are there and where those shocks are set.

The Koni's themselves aren't the issue, at least in so far as they can't be set to work (if they are set in a place you don't like). I truly think it's a spring thing, and it's possible you just don't like lowering springs.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was hoping that you would reply. This picture was taken by the previous owner, but I do know that the only other suspension mod done is an adjustable panhard rod. How do I adjust the konis? Can I do it on the car or must I remove them? Sorry for the basic questions, I am a suspension newb and haven't had much luck researching.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

It's not possible for to explain it, and frankly there are factors involved that I can't see. I don't know if the fronts were put on in a way that the adjuster is able to be reached, I don't know which rear shocks you have. And trying to describe how to adjust those to someone who's never seen them isn't something easy to do.

I'd recommend you call the previous owner and see if you can at least find out what you have in terms of settings, etc.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

There's info on Koni's website I'm pretty sure that explains it. Figuring out what types of Koni's you have shouldn't be that tough. Hopefully the fronts were installed where the adjustment is facing outward. If not, you might have to take stuff apart.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Understood, I appreciate the help. I'm tempted just to yank it all off to find out what I have and put some Strano springs back in! lol
Old 11-20-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The front upper rebound adjuster is located here.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh geez.. those ARE practically coil bound! I just saw the pic now (before I couldn't see it from work network)
Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'd change the springs.... that picture is 100% a perfect example of why I don't love the Hotchkis springs. They are almost all coil-bound (this pic is hanging in the air, it's way worse on the ground).

I have no idea where the Koni's are set, and if they are say full stiff that won't make for a very nice ride. I don't know what is going on with the rear suspension, like what kind of LCA's are there and where those shocks are set.

The Koni's themselves aren't the issue, at least in so far as they can't be set to work (if they are set in a place you don't like). I truly think it's a spring thing, and it's possible you just don't like lowering springs.
Sam said it in His first sentence, no adjustment of the shock will do a thing, the shock is not working with those springs on Your car.
Carl
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Teching In

What brand brake rotors are those?