Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rattles with Solid Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattles with Solid Motor Mounts

Ok, so I just installed moroso solid motor mounts in my 97 z28. I did it because the drivers side of the engine would raise up under moderate acceleration and the long tubes would hit and rattle on the floorboard. So i installed my solids and when I took it for a test drive it rattles like crazy... everywhere. My doors rattle and even my t-tops rattle. I have read about plenty of people that have solid mounts and say the vibrations really arent bad. So is there anything I can do? I have no idea if it makes a difference between LT and LS engines. One guy said he did some more tuning and it made the vibrations better. What do I need to have tuned?? Please help me out guys.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derekstl
Ok, so I just installed moroso solid motor mounts in my 97 z28. I did it because the drivers side of the engine would raise up under moderate acceleration and the long tubes would hit and rattle on the floorboard. So i installed my solids and when I took it for a test drive it rattles like crazy... everywhere. My doors rattle and even my t-tops rattle. I have read about plenty of people that have solid mounts and say the vibrations really arent bad. So is there anything I can do? I have no idea if it makes a difference between LT and LS engines. One guy said he did some more tuning and it made the vibrations better. What do I need to have tuned?? Please help me out guys.
Having the GF tuned to about another 200 lbs would absorb the vibrations...
Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Launching!

What exactly is the GF??
Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Never thought id see a thread "I put solid motor mounts on my car, and now it vibrates.." thread. Next it'll be, "I replaced my shocks with solid bar stock, and now it rides really rough"
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Wow. Never thought id see a thread "I put solid motor mounts on my car, and now it vibrates.." thread. Next it'll be, "I replaced my shocks with solid bar stock, and now it rides really rough"

Originally Posted by derekstl
What exactly is the GF??

I think he means the "girlfriend".....
Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

I would check the panels themselves. I have had my solids for a while, put solids in my brother's Z28 and just got done putting solids in a LS2 GTO... havent really noticed any excessive "rattle" noises, that werent really present before hand.

If that doesnt work, the last dealer I worked at we used to use small pieces of foam behind squeaking or rattling interior panels.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Yeah yeah yeah... I expected to feel vibrations, but it sounds like my whole car is gonna fall apart. I have read about plenty of people running solids and not having any real issues with excessive vibrations. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

I think he means the "girlfriend".....[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was kinda thinking that. It makes sense but I was hoping it was a real answer that would actually help me.

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
I would check the panels themselves. I have had my solids for a while, put solids in my brother's Z28 and just got done putting solids in a LS2 GTO... havent really noticed any excessive "rattle" noises, that werent really present before hand.

If that doesnt work, the last dealer I worked at we used to use small pieces of foam behind squeaking or rattling interior panels.
I might give this a try. I have a lot of rattles that I have never heard before. Guess it can go through one by one and check them all out. Thanks for giving a real answer
Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

get rid of the solid mounts.
or just tell all your friends "its supposed to be that way".
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Ok, so after doing some reading I have noticed that people say that having a cam really causes more vibrations. Maybe people with stock motors or only bolt ons are the ones without any difference between stock and solid mounts. Anyways here is a link to the cam I have... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-07-304-8/
I havent had my motor balanced or anything so maybe that adds to it. But my next question is, If I change to poly or prothane mounts will I still have a lot of vibrations? Its my understanding that the stock ones have the rubber to absorb the vibrations.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

does it only do it at idle, what's your idle speed?
Poly mounts do add a little more vibration(over stock rubber mounts) at idle, but that's it.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Poly mounts do add a little more vibration(over stock rubber mounts) at idle, but that's it.
I installed poly mounts in my car 3-4 years ago, and didn't really notice any difference in vibrations at all....
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
It does it a little at idle in park, but its the worst once you put it in gear or pull up to a stop light. My car idles around 800 rpm ( higher and more vibrations when its cold) and at a stop light its about 1100 - 1200 rpms. Its mainly all at low speed/rpms. Once I get above around 20 mph it runs smooth.

I know the car will vibrate with these mounts, but I was wondering if there is any way to reduce it. I think mine is a little worse than what others are experiencing with solid mounts
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

This thread is funny. That's what you get for asking people online what their opinion is. How do you define what's not too bad or not? Some people think the worst ride quality rides like a caddilac. Other's think a nice cushy ride car hurts their back, ****, and vagina. You're the only one who knows what YOU think rides well or vibrates too much.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't think you are going to be able to "reduce" it unless you get rid of the solid mounts. My car rattles, is noisy as hell, and is not all that comfortable to ride in, but I've just gotten used to it. Give it a while and see if you can "adjust" to it. It's not a caddy.

Quick Reply: Rattles with Solid Motor Mounts