Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring/shock install

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
I guess people who don't use spring compressors to compress the springs want there ***** in there throat!!!! If your to damn lazy to do the job using the right tools than maybe you shouldn't do it.......

So true....I just installed new springs and shocks in the rear two months ago. Do it as mentioned in an earlier post up top. The fronts I replaced spring and strut two weeks ago. Took me about an hour per side working by myself from start to finish. I have pics in an album on my page if you care to look. As far as the compressor goes I WOULD USE ONE. Its better on the assembly and SAFER!!! Wanna spend xmas in the ER if that spring or the upper mount hits you? Also, I didnt use a compressor....didnt need to because mine were already assembled. Or I would of.Also I read about the Eibach and OEM stock shock......bad combo. You will like the new Shock spring combo better. I had Eibach Sportline and stock shocks on All 4's and hated it...but I bought it like that. So I changed it.
Attached Thumbnails Spring/shock install-2.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is an alignment needed after this install?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Is an alignment needed after this install?

yes....the Eibachs will drop your car right? maybe 1.5 to 3 inches depending on the spring from what i know. well that messes up your alignment. Maybe not alot, buts enough to give you uneven tire wear and pull a little one way. Mine needs one, but I am going to install a new rack and pinion first.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zerogravity779
yes....the Eibachs will drop your car right? maybe 1.5 to 3 inches depending on the spring from what i know. well that messes up your alignment. Maybe not alot, buts enough to give you uneven tire wear and pull a little one way. Mine needs one, but I am going to install a new rack and pinion first.
I don't think you read the thread clear or maybe I wasn't coming off clear enough When I bought the car they already had Eibach Prokits installed. Awaiting installation now is new Koni 4/4 and Strano springs.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you read the thread clear or maybe I wasn't coming off clear enough When I bought the car they already had Eibach Prokits installed. Awaiting installation now is new Koni 4/4 and Strano springs.
The height probably won't change by much, so maybe an alignment isn't necessary, but I would still recommend one.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rears should go with out a problem..now the fronts, take your time and use a compressor..
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
The height probably won't change by much, so maybe an alignment isn't necessary, but I would still recommend one.
Ok, thanks! Thanks to everyone else for all the help
Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is a dumb question for most members, but which are the rear springs and front springs? Pics were added on post #1
Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rears are the taller ones in the middle of your pic
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alec
LOL hahahhaaaa. .... Bwahahhahhaaaaa.. Damn. Did ya look at your car? LOL maybe you should have. Call STRANO he's your woman, as in every good man has a..... good luck behind this cluster ****. Hahhahahhaaa oh man hahhahaaaa.

Merry Christmas. Have fun with your new "race suspension" hahhahaaa

Edit: Are you blind? If you are tell Sam.
There's no reason for this post.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL hahahhaaaa. .... Bwahahhahhaaaaa.. Damn. Did ya look at your car? LOL maybe you should have. Call STRANO he's your woman, as in every good man has a..... good luck behind this cluster ****. Hahhahahhaaa oh man hahhahaaaa.

Merry Christmas. Have fun with your new "race suspension" hahhahaaa

Edit: Are you blind? If you are tell Sam.
Cool story douche bag Obviously you have a problem with Strano and I guess it's because everyone has his springs and Koni shocks and for whatever reason it pisses you off. I guess you can't afford the set up and your pissed
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there was. Sir.

Edit. 99FormulaM6r, you are an asset to this forum. Don't get yourself in front of yourself. I do it all the time.

Merry Christmas. We are the last of the "car guys" It is all Nissian leaf or Toyota Pryussss.

Good to see an Mech engineer on Tech. Make my Christmas dreams come true. V8 under 3330 lbs and shade tree mechanic friendly.

OH and safe.....hahhhah
what are you on?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending one the car i have been able to install new struts without using a spring compressor. if you remove the nut holding the the top strut hat/bearing assembly to the strut while IT IS STILL IN THE CAR AND BOLTED UP. Then lightly jack up that side and remove the wheel then unbolt the strut from the control arm, it may allow you to slide the strut and spring out while still leaving the strut hat to the car. BUT with camaro and firebirds there normally isnt enough flex within the control arm to allow to spring to fully expand and be removed. Installing the new springs and struts is normally a little easier becasue lowering springs are normally shorter. But use a spring compressor. Its just as easy.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL nothing. I laughed so hard. This dude buys well over a grand worth of suspension parts form the guru on this site and he dosen't know what goes in the front???? Hahhahhaaa.

The hype is so funny on here.

I like the engineering student. I was hoping for a light V8 powered car that one day he might design. He is a good guy.

LOL which set goes in the front. hahahaaa Strano needs to label them hahaaaa
I sure as hell didn't spend well over a grand AND I didn't buy them from the "guru". You're talking like you know everything... All of your post seem smart *** and negative. What's wrong? You mad bro? Let me guess... you're failing at life? LOL! You say you're not serious and you're being sarcastic, yet you're still running your mouth. This is the first time I've swapped springs and shocks myself so of course I'm not going to know WTF I'm looking at.

This is a very helpful site with a lot of knowledgeable people and people like you should just leave and stop hating on people like Strano. There's obviously something that's really bothering you. Did he bone one of your family members? How old are you? You act like a little kid trying to stir sh*t up. I can't even see how you're not banned yet with all of your useless crap. Take care douche...
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got done installing the rear springs/shocks. Now I'm going to do the fronts. For whatever reason when I did the rears I had to compress the rear springs to pull them out and compress the Strano's to put them in. So that set me back some.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got done installing the rear springs/shocks. Now I'm going to do the fronts. For whatever reason when I did the rears I had to compress the rear springs to pull them out and compress the Strano's to put them in. So that set me back some.
Did you let your rear fall all the way? I've never heard of having to use a compressor on the rear, but maybe this is more common than I think.

Either way, congrats on getting half of it done, lol. The front's are a bigger pain in the ***, but they're not bad, just take your time and do it right

EDIT: lol, noticed someone's posts are gone.... Somehow at least he seemed to like me
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you let your rear fall all the way? I've never heard of having to use a compressor on the rear, but maybe this is more common than I think.

Either way, congrats on getting half of it done, lol. The front's are a bigger pain in the ***, but they're not bad, just take your time and do it right

EDIT: lol, noticed someone's posts are gone.... Somehow at least he seemed to like me
Yes, I did let the rear drop all the way down. Weird!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMFG!!! These front struts are pissing me off! It seems like I have to compress these front springs too to get the shock/spring out. WTF!!! Are my shocks completely dead or something?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You shouldn't have to compress anything to get the assembly out of the car. I would recommend loosening the bottom with some load on it (from a jack or something) as opposed to trying to pull them out when the A-arm trying to drop....unless this isn't your problem, lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You shouldn't have to compress anything to get the assembly out of the car. I would recommend loosening the bottom with some load on it (from a jack or something) as opposed to trying to pull them out when the A-arm trying to drop....unless this isn't your problem, lol.
I swear, I'm running into technical difficulty every step I take. This is pissing me off more than any other install I've ever done. 1 front strut/spring is out. Now I compressed the spring as far as I could and the rubber shoe isn't even loose, meaning if I were to undo the top nut on the strut the rubber shoe would possibly be flying off hurting someone. This might be more of a problem than my header install was.

Quick Reply: Spring/shock install