Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Back shocks leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Back shocks leaking?

Took my car in to Midas to get a free oil change and tire rotation. In their evaluation they said that the rear shocks were leaking. Anyone know what thats about? Shocks are Koni 4/3, came with car when I bought it 3+ years ago. I looked at the shocks and they look fine to me. Was looking at redoing my suspension anyway but dont have the money for new Koni's. Was looking into Sam Springs and SLP shocks. Car is a 2002 SLP with the 17 inch rims. Riding on Yokohama ES100s that are about to be replaced - too stiff a side wall for this town haha - with Nitto Invo 255/50/ZR17. Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

First, a touch of oil is not abnormal as it lubricates the top seal. Koni's have a lifetime warranty to the original owner which will cover such things, but it seems you aren't the original owner.

For what it's worth, a new pair of rears won't cost by about $50 more than say a pair of Bilstein rears... hardly worth dropping down to Bilstein's for about the cost of one tank of gas.

But again, a touch of oil is no issue--if it's pouring out that's a problem. It's rear that happens, let alone on two shocks, so I'm wondering if they are really bad. Does the car have rear bumpstops on it? If not that can cause shock failure, but if so I'd be pretty surprised if both had the same failure, a pretty uncommon one at that.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Sam. Guess they didnt know that at the Midas place. Yea the car still has the stock rear bumpstops. I know I had the rear axle seals replaced during the summer so I wonder if there was still some leftover oil on it. But seeing how I am looking to replace the rear shocks and use a set of your springs, would it be advised to go ahead and replace the front shocks as well? That was what I was going to do so I would know when everything was put on the car and know that it is new. That was why I was looking at doing the Bilsteins but I might just have to break down and get new everything. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking shocks

Not to add another wrinkle, but when I had a leaking Koni rear (a gusher) I sent it to Truechoice for a rebuild. Seems to work fine since returned 2 years ago, and was used for open track events and high speed auto-x as well as street use. With shipping it was under 200.00, but I'm pretty sure this is less that a new double adjustable...

Quick Reply: Back shocks leaking?