Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

powerslot rotors - rust problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default powerslot rotors - rust problem?

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else with Powerslot rotors has experienced what I have.....

I put the rotors on the car in the summer of 2008. First two years no issues. This past summer (2010) I started getting a bad squeal when braking. Checked the pads, lots left on them. The rotors showed no signs of scoring either. I took it to the shop, mechanic found rust buildup on the inside of the rotor cap, along the edge, and the pads were rubbing that and squealing. They cleaned them off, squeal gone. Fast forward ~6 months to now, squeal is back. Is this common with Powerslots? The 2 sets of stock rotors never did this. Is it just because the car is winter driven?

Thx
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im assuming your talking about the zinc coated type? it does wear off after time. They use zinc bars on the bottom of ships in the ocean as a sacrificial metal so the hull doesnt rust, point being the big bars they use will be completly gone after time and have to be replaced. so a thin coating on a rotor will wear off.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

The rotor face was not coated, the centre "hub" portion may be though. But it is on the back/inside of the hub where the rust is forming.

Could just be accelerated due to the salt from the roads. Guess I'll clean it off when I take the winter tires off.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Mine have been on for several years and I only have a little bit of rust in a small ring around the hub. They do squeak slightly and that would be the HP+ pads.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its likely what the other have said earlier in that the Zinc on the hat has just finally worn off and allowed it to begin rusting a bit.

One thing you could do is use some hi-temp ceramic paint on the hubs.. If you push your car hard or attend HPDE events, the paint likely wont last, but if you just do some normal driving with the car, then the ceramic paint will likely last a long time and inhibit the rust issues. Just make sure you dont paint over the pad contact area.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my power slots squeak from time to time. I'm running hawk HPS pads to though. I might have to check out the rotor hat.

Quick Reply: powerslot rotors - rust problem?