Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PHB Adjustment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PHB Adjustment Issue

Me and my friend installed a BMR on car adjustable PHB last night (also LCAs, those went on perfect and was a whole lot easier than I thought they would be) and for some reason the drivers side looks like its sticking out an inch or so compared to the passenger side. I read up on how to adjust it on the car by measuring between the tire's inside sidewall to the frame. I believe there was about 3.25" between the frame and the tire's inner sidewall on both sides by the time we finished adjusting, but when the car was back on the ground, after a test drive, the driver tire was definitely out further than the passenger side. Btw the car drove fine ~5 miles down the highway and back to my friends house @ 60-70mph. The rear felt a lot more predictable and didn't feel so lightweight and skittish anymore, definitely a good mod, along with the LCAs. I can probably keep tinkering away at this to get it right, but any thoughts on why it would look further out on the drivers side when the measurements were dead even?

*Disclaimer* This is my first time doing any suspension work on the car and this is my first LS1, I am a noob to this so please no flaming.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you adjust it with the rear up in the air? That would make a big difference.

You could just move the drivers side in 1" and when you set the car back down it should be right (even if it's not right when up in the air).

EDIT: You could always back the car up on ramps and try adjusting it from there.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you adjust the phb with the rear suspension loaded. The phb moves the rear side to side and when theres no weight on the axle it will be further over therefore giving you a false measurement. Get some jackstands under the rear with all the weight on the car and then measure and adjust accordingly.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99formulam6r
did you adjust it with the rear up in the air? That would make a big difference.

You could just move the drivers side in 1" and when you set the car back down it should be right (even if it's not right when up in the air).

Edit: You could always back the car up on ramps and try adjusting it from there.

x2...Ramps are good idea.make sure to use ebrake and chuck front wheels.Safety first
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, to make life easier, you can use the outside of the quarter panel to the rim dimension, instead of crawling underneath to measure the rim to the frame.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did adjust it with the suspension loaded, thanks for the idea leadfoot, seems like its just gonna need some messing around with until its perfect.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

how about tie a nut/any weight on a string and tape the string over the outside of the wheelwell measure from string to wheel ,tape one on each side
be sure suspension loaded
Johnny
Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

^ awesome idea, thanks for helping a noob out, I was thinking about a plumb last night but we just did the measuring off the frame, it was fun to do and extremely easy to install