Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrade?

Hi, I have a 2000 camaro ss police interceptor cam and heads with a bunch of other bolt ons, she puts 422hp to the wheels dyno'd but I have just one problem and that is she doesnt handle for crap anymore. I curently have hotchis strut towers, springs, brace and sway bars with spohn control arms witch I just found that the rear control arm was broken, the set up I have right now was installed about 5 years back and is pretty worn out. I drag race from time to time and Im looking for the best set up for street and strip use. Money isnt to much of a concern but I dont want to spend a fortune and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

what shocks do you have? shocks are like a foundation for a home imo
Koni shocks will be recommended since you do both street/strip
subframe connectors too

do a lil searching theirs tons of info on this forum
Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 AM

i have edelbrock shocks
i have heard great things about koni shock so im thinking of going with those
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea upgrade to some koni's and then see where you stand from there
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are mainly looking for handling definitely look at shocks first, like previously mentioned Koni's are a very good option. You should be okay with the springs and sway bars you have but I would atleast check to make sure the bushings and end links are okay on the sway bars you already have. Next I would look at replacing the lower control arms since you are having issue with your current set, a set of tubular adjustable with poly-urethane bushings should suit your needs very well. I would also add an adjustable panhard bar with poly-urethane bushings to allow you to center the rear end since the car has been lowered. There are couple thing that will help you out at the drag strip like the lower control arm rerlocation brackets which will add more positive anti-squat to the car and allow for better launching and traction and a nice tubular torque arm to get rid of the flimsy stock piece that is currently in there will help immensely also. And the last piece I would look at would be the a torque arm relocation crossmember which will get the torque arm off the back of the transmission and keep you from breaking the tailshaft housing on the transmission but will also allow you to change the instant center which will help with launching the car and overall traction. If there are any parts I can help you out with let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kc_ss
Hi, I have a 2000 camaro ss police interceptor cam and heads with a bunch of other bolt ons, she puts 422hp to the wheels dyno'd but I have just one problem and that is she doesnt handle for crap anymore. I curently have hotchis strut towers, springs, brace and sway bars with spohn control arms witch I just found that the rear control arm was broken, the set up I have right now was installed about 5 years back and is pretty worn out. I drag race from time to time and Im looking for the best set up for street and strip use. Money isnt to much of a concern but I dont want to spend a fortune and any input would be greatly appreciated.
Give us a call and we can discuss all your needs and get you into the best quality parts and the best prices. We manufacture all our own suspension parts in-house and proudly offer the Afco and Strange shocks that are proven winners on the strip and work just as well on the street, and all at very affordable prices. We also have the street and track experience to back it all up so when you call us its no bs from a sales person just trying to sell you stuff you don't really need. 309-382-6252

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade?