Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rough ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rough ride?

hello all not sure if its the right section but anyway. i noticed my car has been a little rough than usual. that is when i had to drive my 2010 caprice SS for a week and then when i go to drive my camaro it is noisy, rough on streets and annoying! car has 130K with mods in sig. i checked my bump stops and they are dry as hell! they break when i touch them. my tires arent that bad. i am going to change engine mounts along with new wheels and tires this week. what else do you suggest? what could cause all this roughness? i want to be smooth and quiet. thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Are still on the original stock shocks? If so, that should be the first thing you replace.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you need new shocks. You need new shocks regardless if yours are originals with 130K on them.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

hmm should i replace them with stockers? all of the four? id do anything to get a smooth car!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO ! if you just want a comfortable ride , go with bilsteins , they will improve handline , and give you a much better ride .. the stockers are horrible ..
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, if you're not looking to lower, a set of Bilsteins (or Koni's if you're looking for more performance, with higher $$$ also) will really help the car out. Look at your suspension bushings as well (in the front, as well as the rear LCA and PHB bushings), if they're worn you'll get more slop and that can cause your car to be harsher on bumps/road irregularities.

Also, if you want it quieter, you could always add some sound deadening in the car. There's quite a few people on here that have done that and have great results to show for it.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock shocks are ok for ride for a few years and maybe 100,000mi max. As above, I would replace with Bilstein HDs at the least. Had them on my otherwise stock suspended (later 32mm front bar) V6 and they were great. I put Konis on the Formula and they are also very good, but they are a fair amount more. So if you don't want adjustability or mild front drop go with the Bilsteins to save a few dollars.

I would avoid OEM replacement type shocks because the Bilsteins are leaps and bounds better and will probably last longer. That said the Bilsteins damp a good deal more aggressively than stock spec shocks so it will be firmer, but overall there is less harshness over large bumps and the car will be more composed in mid corner bumps.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 for bilsteins. They are firmer than stock but its a very nice ride, absorbs bumps much better and the car just seems more planted as a whole instead of being all floaty. They are a great price too, but if you have the money I would go for a set of konis. They can't be beat
Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the help guys. yes 99FormulaM6r its just as you described it; i can feel every single stone n crap on the road! its annoying. i think am going with bilstein for the price. ill check my local stores since i live in middle east its gna cost a lot to ship them from the US. thanks again guys

EDIT: 99FormulaM6r you mentioned the sound deadening i thought of that too. but how much weight will it add? its really weird how fbodys are noisy! this is my 2nd fbody and its just as annoying!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

sorry for the 100 questions! but i found pretty good deals online. just wondering how much a single shock weights? some sponsors wrote 2.6 lbs? if thats the case am getting them online. any idea?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't give you an exact weight but I just changed out my springs yesterday and idk about the rear but I'd have to guess the front shocks weigh maybe 5 lbs each. I'd hit up WS6 store...they have great prices. The price on these shocks have dropped a lot, I remember about two years ago I paid $450 with shipping!

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=763
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
thanks for the help guys. yes 99FormulaM6r its just as you described it; i can feel every single stone n crap on the road! its annoying. i think am going with bilstein for the price. ill check my local stores since i live in middle east its gna cost a lot to ship them from the US. thanks again guys

EDIT: 99FormulaM6r you mentioned the sound deadening i thought of that too. but how much weight will it add? its really weird how fbodys are noisy! this is my 2nd fbody and its just as annoying!
I don't know exactly how much weight it will add, I've heard around 40 lbs. from someone on here I believe. Basically, you can add as much or as little as you want, and while 40 lbs. might sound like a lot, it's really nothing compared to the weight of the car (and might be worth it's weight in gold, lol)

Quick Reply: rough ride?