Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering with ground effects??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lowering with ground effects??

My 01 z28 came with the GM appearance package ground effects on it. Basically the old RS ground effects....The cars got 71k on it and I'm looking to put new shocks and springs on....

My concern is how low can I go before I start having clearance issues as far as jacking the car up, and driving in general....The car is not my dd and another concern is in one year it is going to be undergoing a forced induction and bottom end build when in the end I should be round 700rwhp and will be taken to the track oftenly...What springs are the way to go....

BMR is saying 1.25 inch drop...which Im concerned that its not that much

Eihbach is saying 1.5 front-1.3 rear which sounds better

Eihbach sportlines are saying 1.7 front-1.8 rear which I'm concerned is too low

Does anyone have any past useful experience, it would be greatly appreciated....

Also I installed rear kyb gas-a-just monotube shocks in Sept because one was blown, should I go the same with the front when I do the spring install??? Money was an issue at the time and will be until I start my job this summer, I'm graduating college in May
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

If you want to lower the car, BMR or Strano springs will be the majority of the answers you see, and for good reason. The Eibachs have been known to sag over time. And if it isn't a DD that you plan to take to the track often, you'll want a pretty different setup...

I'd say, if you already have a nice paying job lined up for summer, just get some BMR or Strano springs for now. Then, next year when you go FI, sell those springs and pick up some more drag oriented ones. Also, with putting 700 to the wheels, I hope you plan on quite a few more suspension mods as well.

Hope this helped,

-Brandon
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
If you want to lower the car, BMR or Strano springs will be the majority of the answers you see, and for good reason. The Eibachs have been known to sag over time. And if it isn't a DD that you plan to take to the track often, you'll want a pretty different setup...

I'd say, if you already have a nice paying job lined up for summer, just get some BMR or Strano springs for now. Then, next year when you go FI, sell those springs and pick up some more drag oriented ones. Also, with putting 700 to the wheels, I hope you plan on quite a few more suspension mods as well.

Hope this helped,

-Brandon
What kind of drag springs would you recommend and what are the costs?? and yes absolutely, I'm just planning on doing the rest of the suspension when I have enough to install a nine inch...btw what do you mean by sag?

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 04-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I know you have heard about the rubber hose mod for the rear springs. Would I be able to the same for the after market springs? and is there and actual replacement piece I could buy somewhere?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
What kind of drag springs would you recommend and what are the costs?? and yes absolutely, I'm just planning on doing the rest of the suspension when I have enough to install a nine inch...btw what do you mean by sag?
He means the car's *** sags down lower than it should.

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Also I know you have heard about the rubber hose mod for the rear springs. Would I be able to the same for the after market springs? and is there and actual replacement piece I could buy somewhere?
Yes, you can. you just remove the spring isolator and put a rubber hose on the spring so there is still something there to prevent metal to metal contact.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
He means the car's *** sags down lower than it should.

Yes, you can. you just remove the spring isolator and put a rubber hose on the spring so there is still something there to prevent metal to metal contact.
Ok and this is only in the rear right??

Quick Reply: Lowering with ground effects??