Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another clunk thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another clunk thread

So I just finished up putting on new shocks, lowering springs, dbl adj LCA's and panhard bar. Everything is tight and I got an alignment today. I have two problems. The first is my car makes this terrible clunking sound when I go over bumps and when I rock it side to side at the quarters. My panhard bar is already as tight as I can possibly get it. I understand if you get a rattle at the quarters then it's the panhard that is loose, but like I said mine is tight. The second problem is my locknuts on my control arms come loose when I drive down really bumpy roads. When they're loose obviously the clunk becomes ten times worse. I'm getting tired of having to pull over and crawl under the car and crank them back down all the time. Today when I got my alignment done the guy who was doing it noticed that I had some rear end noise. My diff is covered in oil so most likely it is either low or has no oil even in it. He said my carrier bearings are probably fried. Now when I shake the car side to side the clunk sounds like it is coming directly over the diff. Would bad bearings like he said make the clunk? Also any suggestions on keeping those lock nuts tight? Sorry for the long read, but I have taken off my shocks and tightened all those locknuts at least 15 times today. If my car didn't handle so much better I would regret even lowering it in the first place lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

bumpity
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lock-tite? Just dab some on the threads and toque down to spec. Allow some time to dry and I would think it should help. As far as the clunk, I don't know.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the shock tops that bolt to the body too tight, or too loose? or shake the lca's and panhard and see if you can track down the rattle, i know lca's should be torqued to 100 ft/lbs
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Everything is tight. I had a shock that was on wrong so that's part of the rattle. The clunk is still there though. I'm just getting used to it. As long as my tires wear true I don't really care.

Quick Reply: Another clunk thread