Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes squeal when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes squeal when in reverse

My front brakes squeal like crazy whenever my car is going in reverse dosen't matter if it's driven or just rolling backwards. Started just a week or so ago and seems to be getting worse. With around 60K on the original pads and rotors they are due for replacement very soon. Do you think this noise is just worn out brakes or a sign of something worse? Other than some vibration from the warped rotors car seems to still feel real strong under braking. Could it be the pads are not pulling all the way back from the rotors and dragging or would they squeal then going forwards as well.
Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Launching!

if you read your owners manual, your brake pads have indicators in them which make a high pitch noise, to let you know its time to change them. If you keep riding on them theyll start to eat your rotors up. Im going to be changing mine also. Im going to get the autozone rotors, and raybestos ceramic brake pads.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sudz
if you read your owners manual, your brake pads have indicators in them which make a high pitch noise, to let you know its time to change them. If you keep riding on them theyll start to eat your rotors up. Im going to be changing mine also. Im going to get the autozone rotors, and raybestos ceramic brake pads.
Thanks Sudz I hope your right. I also plan on going with Autozone rotors but with Hawk HPS pads. Seems to be a popular cost effective combonation.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it only does it in reverse then it must be the rear brakes

lol

j/k
Old 03-03-2004, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sudz
Shouldn't the brake indicators only make a noise when you apply the brakes?Mine make that noise with no brake pressure at all
Old 03-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Launching!

if your brake pads make that noise with out hitting the brakes, your caliper pistons are probably pushed out of the caliper so far that they wont go back in and still leave slight pressure on your pads which rub your rotor ever so slightly, not to mention your pads are probably really thin. I would say its time for some new pads and possibly rotors.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeal when in reverse