Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

where to start on suspension mods???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where to start on suspension mods???

hey guys just starting out on my suspension mods. i have NOTHING now not even aftermarket shocks. Im just wondering where you guys would recommend me to start on my 98 vert. Im not making a whole lot of power but still have traction prboblems out of the whole that kill my 60 ft times. Just want to start out easy and work my way up. Aslo eventually will go with a 9 inch so will the custom 9 inch have provisoins for anything i buy for the stocker 10 bolt so i can reuse my purchase later?

Thanks matt
Old 03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before people start giving you advice...perhaps you should confirm what your goals are. Sounds like you're a drag racer....this is an entirely different suspension setup than a corner carver.

Originally Posted by redbandit98
hey guys just starting out on my suspension mods. i have NOTHING now not even aftermarket shocks. Im just wondering where you guys would recommend me to start on my 98 vert. Im not making a whole lot of power but still have traction prboblems out of the whole that kill my 60 ft times. Just want to start out easy and work my way up. Aslo eventually will go with a 9 inch so will the custom 9 inch have provisoins for anything i buy for the stocker 10 bolt so i can reuse my purchase later?

Thanks matt
Old 03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt call myself a DRAG racer. Just gonna go to the track about once a month during the season. I'm not into the road racing thing. Just drive her on the weekends and street race alot for fun,nothing to fancy. Dont want to get to crazy until i pay it off so i can afford to build a new motor,trans,rearend,etcc.. you know how it goes. Right now i jsut want some basic bolt ons that will help me out of the hole. Sub connectors? adjsutable shocks? school me people. thanks for the input hubris.
Matt
Old 03-08-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbandit98
i wouldnt call myself a DRAG racer. Just gonna go to the track about once a month during the season. I'm not into the road racing thing. Just drive her on the weekends and street race alot for fun,nothing to fancy. Dont want to get to crazy until i pay it off so i can afford to build a new motor,trans,rearend,etcc.. you know how it goes. Right now i jsut want some basic bolt ons that will help me out of the hole. Sub connectors? adjsutable shocks? school me people. thanks for the input hubris.
Matt
Well you cant go wrong either way (straight line or otherwise) with SFC's and LCA's. A Strut Tower Brace is also a quick cheap mod as well.

You could also run some stiffer swaybars, and on track day remove the front one if you feel the need.

Any mods after that would really be person specific. For instance, even though I go to the 1/4 mostly, I still love playing around on the streets (canyons and what not) So I am not getting a Drag specific spring set (+bags etc.), Ill prolly just get adjustable Koni's and set them differently for the track.

Once you do the first few suspention mods, you just driving your car regularly will tell you what you need to do next as far as your driving needs go. Good Luck and Take Care.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation222
A Strut Tower Brace is also a quick cheap mod as well.
I agree ... cheap as in no value.

And our cars have shocks, not struts. 3rd gens and Mustangs have struts.

Quick Reply: where to start on suspension mods???