Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front suspension

Had new front brake pads installed and after they lowered my 02 Z/28 Vert. I noticed right away that my car was now setting about 2" - 2 1/2" higher than before the brake job . The car has the original stock suspension with the orange bilstien shocks with about 96,000 miles & still in great condition & are NOT worn out .
I hate the way it looks now even though it still rides smooth and all but it looks like crap . Thing is both sides measure about the same height .
Anybody have any idea what caused this & how to rectify without having to buy new shocks & heaven forbid , lowering springs ?
Thanks .
Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It'll settle down. Wait for it.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by THE BIG KAHOONA
Had new front brake pads installed and after they lowered my 02 Z/28 Vert. I noticed right away that my car was now setting about 2" - 2 1/2" higher than before the brake job . The car has the original stock suspension with the orange bilstien shocks with about 96,000 miles & still in great condition & are NOT worn out .
I hate the way it looks now even though it still rides smooth and all but it looks like crap . Thing is both sides measure about the same height .
Anybody have any idea what caused this & how to rectify without having to buy new shocks & heaven forbid , lowering springs ?
Thanks .
FYI there are no orange bilstien shocks, you have the stock decarbons, and yes they are very "worn out" by now, even if you might not think so (they are terrible brand new, and worse with miles).
As the post above says, wait for the springs to settle.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
FYI there are no orange bilstien shocks, you have the stock decarbons, and yes they are very "worn out" by now, even if you might not think so (they are terrible brand new, and worse with miles).
As the post above says, wait for the springs to settle.
Thanks for the reply's .
Well useing the old bounce method the shocks appear to be alright but be that as it may , how long should it take the springs to settle because I've already driven close to a hundred miles already ? Besides this wasn't the first time the car was lifted onto a rack - oil changes - tires - etc . But this time it didn't settle back down to where it normally should .
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply's .
Well useing the old bounce method the shocks appear to be alright but be that as it may
The "bounce method" where you push on the car? That doesn't show ****.
, how long should it take the springs to settle because I've already driven close to a hundred miles already ? Besides this wasn't the first time the car was lifted onto a rack - oil changes - tires - etc . But this time it didn't settle back down to where it normally should .
Keep driving it for a while and see.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The "bounce method" where you push on the car? That doesn't show ****.

Keep driving it for a while and see.
Ok , Thanks JD .
Any recommendations for the best shocks for a smooth ride as I'm not into any kind of racing except maybe a street race or two . That's why I haven't lowered my last two street cars , ain't gonna give up a decent ride for looks anymore like I used to do in my youth .
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok , Thanks JD .
Any recommendations for the best shocks for a smooth ride as I'm not into any kind of racing except maybe a street race or two . That's why I haven't lowered my last two street cars , ain't gonna give up a decent ride for looks anymore like I used to do in my youth .
Bilsteins if you want something inexpensive.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7