Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pads help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads help

Hey guys, the time has come to replace my brake pads. I work at Carquest Auto Parts and get an employee discount. So my question is, are Akebono ProAct brake pads any good? I can get both sets cheaper than a regular customer. They would cost me about $100 for both front and rear sets. Anyone have good experience with these brake pads on their LS1 TA/Camaro? I drive a 1998 LS1 TA.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope your "employee discount" is better that Advance Auto Part's "employee discount"..... I work part time for Advance, and still buy most of my "hard parts" elsewhere, since it's cheaper to do it that way.

On to your question...Tire Rack sells Akebono pads, and gives them a good rating. I have a '96 Z-28, and was never all that impressed with the OE brakes from day 1 (I'm the original owner). I installed a set of "street performance" pads from Porterfield Racing several years ago, and I've been very satisfied with them.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ive never used them, I'm a hawk fan and have used 3 different styles on mine. The best overall for street use with little dusting is the HPS. HP+ dust like crazy!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Stoptech Street Performance pads. That's all you need to know.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the advice, I went ahead and grabbed them. So far, they are pretty good, just put them on a few hrs ago. They normally cost about $80 a set but my manager was cool and let me use his management discount resulting me paying about $90 for both sets. I will post a few days later on how they perform. I think I got a good deal on decent pads as I'm on a budget atm.

Quick Reply: Brake pads help