Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A arm question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A arm question

The drivers side upper a arm on my 98 z28 is bent and needs to be replaced.I'm right in the middle of ordering a set of koni s/a shocks and front and rear sway bars.The car is not a dd but it does get driven on a regular basis.The previous owner wrecked the car and had it repaired but it seems like I am having to go back and fix a lot of things that were over looked.The price of a new a arm is getting close enough for me to consider a set of tubular a arms.I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do in this situation.I'm also looking for direction on what else I should replace/look for while I'm in there.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pick up a tubular for $190.00 a set but you will need ball joints. The other option is to find a used one, I am sure there is a ton of used a-arms laying around.

www.umiperformance.com/2311

I hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, our P/N 2310 offers adjustability. Since your car was wrecked, the 2310 may be another option to get things lined up properly...

ramey
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Ramey, adjustable tubular is probably your best option. How has your car dealt with alignment in the past? Did the technicians make any mention about having trouble getting it aligned? I ask this because there is a possibility you could just grab a tubular set that is non-adjustable to save some money, otherwise you'll be going with one of the highly adjustable rod-ended A-arms out there. These do offer quite a bit more adjustability for aggressive road racing alignments and such.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Teching In

If your interested i have a whole front end sitting at my shop. All stock parts. Upper and lower a arms, k member, steering rack and some slightly used kb shocks and lowering springs.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

I've never had the car aligned.The drivers side wheel sits slightly toward the rear of the car(off center). It has been this way since I bought the car.I haven't drove the car a lot,maybe 3000 miles in the last year.I've been busy sorting out issues and modding.Last week I noticed the passenger side tire starting to wear on the outside and the last few times i drove the car it had a pretty bad habit of wandering and began to be very unpredictable. So I decided now would be as good a time as any to tackle the suspension.When i pulled the front drivers side wheel to determine why it sits off center I noticed the upper control arm appears to be bent slightly rearward and the bushing closest to the front of the car seems to be walking out of the arm.So my thinking is I have more than 1 problem.I'm just not really sure how bad it is.I'm wondering whither or not the control arm mounts are bent slightly as well and if so would non adjustable arms and a good alignment be enough to square it up or not.

Quick Reply: A arm question