Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy brake trouble

I put pads on my 2000 z .driver side went on no problen went to put passenger side on cant get caliper back on. pistons are all the way in. i can take the pad on the piston side off and the caliper still wont fit. I mic,d the pads and they are the same swithed pads and still wont work. thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push your guide pins in
Old 03-23-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. but a little confused. you said guid pins what are you refering to. thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The caliper floats on guide pins. The bolts that you had to unscrew to remove the caliper, screw into the guide pins. the guide pins float out as the brake pads wear thinner.

The ears of the caliper are hitting the guide pins or you have the ears aligned with the guide pins and there isn't enoughroom for the outer section of the caliper (opposite side of the pistons).

After re-reading your problem and typing this, I realize you might have stuck guide pin(s).

The guide pins pull right out of the abutment bracket with very little effort. They have a rubber boot around them to keep dirt out. If they give resistance to movement, you need to get them out clean and re-grease them.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks again i just want to check there are 2 guide pins on each side? If so then that is my problem the bottom one came out but the top did not i tried to loosing or to pull out but woundnt move .After i tried and it didnt come out i didnt think it was suppose to move. i will try and get it out tommorrow. Just got the car yesterday converted over from my mustang. first chevy. thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

The guide pin head has flat spots on either side that a 16mm open end wrench will fit on. It's used to keep the guide pin from spinning when tightening the bolt. You be able to break it loose with that.

If it's stuck, you might consider replacing the pins. I imagine the boot is torn and has allowed crap to get inside and contaminate the smooth surface on the guide pin.

I imagine your brake pads were tapered like crazy ...
Old 03-25-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the help top pins were froze had to have them heat with a torch to get them free. Everything went right back together thanks

Quick Reply: brake trouble