Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which SS brake lines?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which SS brake lines?

Noticed a tear in one of my rubber hoses, so figured now was a good time to upgrade. There seem to be a ton of options.

Russell, stop tech, good ridge, techna-fit, SJM, and RPM speed; if I'm not forgetting any.

Which are the best? From the looks I like the RPM speed so far from ws6store. Factory square blocks for ease of install, and Teflon coverings for the SS braids to protect them, even a decent price too. And they are D.O.T. Approved... Any reason to go with any others?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I know Techna-fit can be custom-spec'd, but as long as they're DOT approved, you should be fine with any brand.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
Noticed a tear in one of my rubber hoses, so figured now was a good time to upgrade. There seem to be a ton of options.

Russell, stop tech, good ridge, techna-fit, SJM, and RPM speed; if I'm not forgetting any.

Which are the best? From the looks I like the RPM speed so far from ws6store. Factory square blocks for ease of install, and Teflon coverings for the SS braids to protect them, even a decent price too. And they are D.O.T. Approved... Any reason to go with any others?

Thanks for the help!
The DOT doesn't approve anything in the aftermarket, but you do need to make sure the lines are certified to meet FMVSS 106 (the "whip" test), along with the standard 3000 PSI burst test. DO NOT -- under any possible circumstances -- buy the cheapo garbage on eBay, etc. Not that I think you would by what you wrote, but low cost lines have flooded the market over the last several years. Most of them are pure junk and will fail in a year or so, maybe even less.

Goodridge is about as good as it gets from a quality standpoint, but there are a couple of other top-notch brands out there as well. I use the plastic coated variety, so that small rocks don't get embedded in the stainless braids and clean up is easier as well.

The better lines cost a little bit more, but we are talking about the most important safety system on a vehicle here. I've lost brake fluid suddenly once (an OE rubber line was cut by road debris) and it cost me a BMW. Luckily no one was hurt, but I would never wish that feeling on anyone! Take no chances with brakes.

Chris
Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris_B
I use the plastic coated variety, so that small rocks don't get embedded in the stainless braids and clean up is easier as well.
Mind sharing the brand you use ... I've been looking for a plastic or Teflon coated set for a little while now, but I've not found any.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

The RPM speed from the ws6store are. I think he was saying he uses good ridge lines.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matthoef
Mind sharing the brand you use ... I've been looking for a plastic or Teflon coated set for a little while now, but I've not found any.
I'm partial to Goodridge, but that is because I know them and their process well after working with them over the years. I also realize that a couple of other companies also have good quality parts. One of the best is Aeroquip, but they don't make complete line kits like Goodridge does.

You won't find Teflon-coated, nor would you want it if it were made available since that material is too weak against abrasion. Teflon is used on the inside as the liner in stainless steel braided lines. The outer coatings are usually PVC regardless of the color. Just be sure to specify coated lines as uncoated are regularly available and normally set at teaser prices.

Note: I ALWAYS put coated lines on street vehicles and motorcycles. They need the extra protection from debris. Plus, they don't get checked and routinely replaced like they would on a race car. It's typically only around $10 more for coated lines, so no way to justify any savings with uncoated lines.

Chris
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matthoef
I got the techna-fit from Sam Strano www.stranoparts.com They are coated and a little cheaper than the Russels and free shipping!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which SS brake lines?