Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cracks on/in a rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cracks on/in a rotor?

Yesterday I noticed that my front driver-side rotor has little cracks all over it. It's not warped, though. There's spots on it that are shiny, and the tiny hair-line fractures extend outward (center to outside) and are only about half an inch in length. I can post pics later when I'm home.

I take it I need new rotors? It's obviously not good that one rotor is like that, but how bad is it? I want to get new rotors anyway, but don't have the money for all 4. I was thinking of just getting a front pair, maybe those iRotors that I saw in someone's post.

But yeah, not trying to get sidetracked. So, how "gone" is my rotor?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Those will develop with the amount of heating and cooling rotors experience. If they are minor surface cracks and you're not road racing, don't worry unless they start growing.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Gotcha

Makes me feel better now that I don't have to worry about getting new rotors now.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Change those rotors asap!Cracking means a bad rotor got too hot or is flawed. The shop I work at tiny heat cracks are gounds for replacement what do you think will happen over time? They will get bigger and bigger. Then the rotor may break. If the other rotor is not heat cracked you may have a slide sticking or caliper sticking sometimes. I personally have seen a rotor break in pieces because of these cracks. Motorist Assurance Program says any rotor that is underspec or cracked or has an excessive amount of runout that cannot be turned must be replaced.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cracks wont go away or fix themselves. I wouldnt like to see a chunk-o-rotor go flying off at 75mph. That could cause quite a problem. OEM rotors are so cheap at parts stores these days, its silly to run a crippled one.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are surface type cracking then that is an indication of a LOT of heat being transmitted to the rotors, mostly due to driving style.

It's normal and I have run rotors with tiny surface cracking on a road course without incident. It happens and it's no big deal.

But, continue to drive the way the rotors indicate and it soon will be a big deal.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

For further reading with pictures:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...t=rotor+cracks

Bullet point 4 http://www.ncracing.org/logistics.html

Last edited by absolut_speed; 03-29-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Cracks on/in a rotor?