Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front end problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front end problems?

I'll admit, I've neglected the front end of my car for quite a while. I'm more/less wondering what kind of problems I'm looking at. I've been told by a friend that my wheel offset could be a big problem itself. If you have too much of a negative offset, it will cause excessive wandering. I don't think the offset is THAT bad, but it's not optimal.

My main problem is it wanders at any speed under 85. Over 85 or 90 the front end is pretty tight and predictable. But around 65 on the HW I'm constantly fighting with the wheel to keep it from pulling. Maybe this is just an alignment issue, but it mostly pulls to the right even if I constantly check my tire pressures.

Next season or next spring I'm planning on a front end redo consisting of UMI Double Roto LCA's, new tie rods, new ball joints, new wheel bearings and possibly a new steering rack since its been leaking for quite some time. And replacing the springs and shocks with Strano/Koni's.

This is what I have for suspension mods now.

Eibach Prokit (In since 2006.. Yuck, I know)
SLP Bilsteins
Strano front and rear hollow sways
Hotchkis LCA's (Going to replace with UMI Double Rotos)
BMR Adj TQ Arm
Rear LCA Relo brackets.

Any other ideas why I'm fighting the wheel so much? And the steering feels very loose on the HW. Wanted to ditch the PS at one point. Can I get an overdrive pulley for it to slow down the PS and not make it so touchy?

Wheel pic in sig.. VVVV Pic is stretched, so I'm not on 365's on all 4.. 18x10.5 rear @ 285's and 18x10 front @ 275.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 08-19-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideas?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you align the front end after you lowered it. The first time I lowered mine, my tires had quite a bit of toe out and added neg. camber. Are you wearing out the insides of your tires? Also, your 18s may play a small factor with stiffer sidewalls. I've been running the UMI roto-joint LCAs with poly bushing in the UCAs for awhile now. Those parts have really made a difference in steering response! I'm still running stock upper balljoints and tie rods. My rack leaks and needs replacing also. You've got relo. brackets in the back. How are your LCAs in relation to the ground?