Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E-brake, abs light

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-brake, abs light

So this goes back a little bit, I put SLP longtube headers and an or-y pipe on my car, after finishing up I noticed my abs inop light comes on, sometimes it stays on other times it doesn't come on at all. Then there are other times where at any point down the road the light turns off.

The other day I had my p/s pulley break and take my serpentine belt with it, a buddy came and picked me up and we towed the car home. When we got the car home I noticed what I think is the speed sensor for the rearend came unplugged, I got under there and plugged it back in nothing else was loose. The next day I go to school and halfway down my street I look up and my handbrake light is on like I still have it pulled up. After getting to school I try some experiments.

If I start the car and let the handbrake down the brake light turns off and stays off, once I start driving, maybe 15-20 seconds after pulling out of a parking spot my brake light turns back on and stays on for good until I shut the car off.

Help please, I have an idea that the headers might be burning something and causing my abs light to come on but I have no idea where the brake light came from.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Bump...anybody?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

For the ABS issue, you'll need to scan the ABS system (requires a special scanner) to find out what's going on.

The brake light could be a dirty e-bake switch. If you unplug the switch, jump the wires, and the light goes off - you just need to clean/polish the switch.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Offhand would you happen to know what the scanner is called?
I'll check the switch tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for he help
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by my_99Z
Offhand would you happen to know what the scanner is called?
The scanner is called "a major investment." There are many scanners out there that will do it, but you need to check to make sure the scanner covers ABS codes. (A $30 AutoZone special won't cut it. You can expect to plunk down $350+ if you want to purchase one.) You may be better off having a shop do the scan for free unless you really want a scanner.

Originally Posted by my_99Z
I'll check the switch tonight or tomorrow.
That brake light can also mean a general system failure. Since you just had an "explosive event" near the brake system, I'd suggest testing it to make sure that its just the switch before you drive again. It may also be worth while to check your brake fluid level for kicks.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

I had the ABS inop light issue randomly one day. There is a lareger wire connection that plug in on the around the top of your engine I think driver side, look for a large black box about the size of your fist. Mine had a factory like black tape over top of it. I unpluged it and just blew a little air in there, pluged back in and was fine. It seemed like the tape holding it down ( I assume its just to protect it from moisture) had dried up and somehow it got into the connectors. I slapped some duct tape on top and all is well for over a year now. Sorry if my description is not good, its been awhile since I did this.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19blackta98. Sounds like you are describing the EBCM (electronic brake control module) It sits on the drivers side where the brake lines run into it? It has 6 star bit bolts, a plug that when trying to remove it, you have to pull the greasy white tab towards the passenger side of the car, and the power source is on the bottom. I would guess that that is your issue as well. They cost around $100 if you get them from someone off here but brand new can be pricey. If you have traction control, you will need the 4 channel EBCM. If you do not, then you will need the 3 channel. If you have those three lights (parking, abs inop, & tcs off) come on, its typically this problem. I am having the same issue.

wssix99....its called "a major investment" had a laugh at that one.

I hope this helps you and if you have any questions, just put em out there and I am sure these guys will be able to help you.

Quick Reply: E-brake, abs light