Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering spring ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering spring ?'s

i'm ready to buys some lowereing springs for my firehawk. my question is, how do the factory struts/shocks performe with lowering springs? (will it ride like death)

my buddy has a 96 cobra that he installed lowering springs on and it destroyed the ride of the car. other cobra owners on a forum warned him about it and said that the factory stuff goes to pot but if you change to some aftermarket units the ride will come back.

experience please!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowering springs + stock shocks = ****...with a caveat.

If you have the upgraded suspension option with the Bilsteins or the 1LE setup, it'll be pretty decent. As far as I can tell, the upgrade package came with the SLP Bilsteins, which are the same as the HD Bilsteins, and widely regarded as the best price/performance shock for f-bodies.

Stock deCarbons should be a muddy yellow, and Bilsteins would be yellow/blue (I don't think SLP used a different color scheme for their "special" shocks, but I could be wrong).

However, the larger the drop, the worse the shocks are going to perform as the valving on the shocks doesn't always play nice with aftermarket drop springs, whether they're static ratio or progressive.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your worried about the ride quality the get a set of BMR front 1" lowering lower A-arms, a full set of bilsteins, and do the rear hose mod.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
Lowering springs + stock shocks = ****...with a caveat.

If you have the upgraded suspension option with the Bilsteins or the 1LE setup, it'll be pretty decent. As far as I can tell, the upgrade package came with the SLP Bilsteins, which are the same as the HD Bilsteins, and widely regarded as the best price/performance shock for f-bodies.

Stock deCarbons should be a muddy yellow, and Bilsteins would be yellow/blue (I don't think SLP used a different color scheme for their "special" shocks, but I could be wrong).

However, the larger the drop, the worse the shocks are going to perform as the valving on the shocks doesn't always play nice with aftermarket drop springs, whether they're static ratio or progressive.

My Firehawk has orange shocks. I've been wondering what kind they were. Any ideas>?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alexus6798
My Firehawk has orange shocks. I've been wondering what kind they were. Any ideas>?
The orange shocks you have on your car are the Decarbon shocks that the car came with from the factory.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
The orange shocks you have on your car are the Decarbon shocks that the car came with from the factory.
Dammit. I was hoping I has something special

Quick Reply: lowering spring ?'s