Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Changing brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Changing brake lines

My 2002 WS6 has the front brakes converted to C5 Corvette. Been about 3 or 4 years and no problems.

I am getting ready to install new pads and rebuild the Corvette calipers, and I am going to change the front brake lines to braided stainless C5 lines, since the stock TA lines were a little tight when I did the conversion. They work fine but are just a shade short when the wheel is fully turned. The C5 lines are a little longer so I'm just taking this opportunity to get rid of the stock TA lines and fix this potential problem.

Is there any way to change the lines without running the ABS dry? I have a Mity-Vac hand pumping solo brake bleeder. Will this pull the fluid through the ABS module? When I changed the rear pads recently I used the tool to bleed the brakes by myself and I also changed out all the old amber fluid and replaced it with DOT 4 blue, so it seemed that the fluid was pulled through the ABS.

I have a well equiped garage to work in but the car is my daily driver and can be down for a maximum of 3 days, so I'm trying to plan ahead to avoid unexpected problems. I will be doing the work alone.

Am I opening a big can of worms if the ABS runs out of fluid? Will the vac tool pull fluid through?

Any input is welcome.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wont run the ABS dry. you have to activate a purge of the ABS via a GM tool. What you can do is replace all the lines and bleed the fluid then go out and lock up the brakes causing the ABS to be activated and then bleed the brakes again.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Goodridge brake lines I installed were a tad longer than stock. Which ever lines you buy that may be something to consider instead of the C5 lines...that is if the other manufactures do the same.

To give you an idea that it is not that big of a deal with the ABS. I used a turkey baster and sucked all of the fluid out of the reservoir, installed a line lock, changed all six lines. Once that was complete I was able to bleed the system/tighten any weeping lines in about 30 minutes or so. I did have a second person to help though.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you both for your input. Sounds like it won't be a problem.

Quick Reply: Changing brake lines