Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default lowering springs

Okay guys I would like to lower my ride, but really can only afford to do lowering springs at the moment. With that said the car has about 77k on the stock setup. Do you all think the stock shocks/struts and whatnot can handle about a 1.25 inch drop without out creating problems right now? I have the regular shock/strut combo, and not the Bilstiens. I'm considering Strano springs.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just save up so you can do it all at once. That way you don't have to pull it apart to do shocks in the near future.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with egott, save up and do it all at once. Plus your bound to run into handling problems with the worn out stock shocks.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Okay guys I would like to lower my ride, but really can only afford to do lowering springs at the moment. With that said the car has about 77k on the stock setup. Do you all think the stock shocks/struts and whatnot can handle about a 1.25 inch drop without out creating problems right now? I have the regular shock/strut combo, and not the Bilstiens. I'm considering Strano springs.

Thanks
The ideal thing would be to upgrade the shocks and springs at the same time but sometimes that just isn't in the budget. We have had customers use our lowering springs with the factory shocks, the downfall to doing it like this is that ride quality is not going to be all that great. This doesn't mean it that you can't do it, it just means that if you do to not expect a super nice ride quality.

I would also recommend that you take a look at our BMR lowering springs which also give a 1.25" drop and are a bit more budget friendly. If you are interested let me know and I will see what I can get you a set of our lowering springs for.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're better off to just do it all at once, so you don't have to tear things apart twice. You'll also need to budget for some other parts if you're doing a spring/shock swap, since most of the stock parts in the front shock/spring wind up corroding and falling apart. There's a list here in the suspension section about it.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys! Well I just talked to BMR today, and just now realized I have the same crappy shocks/struts that are on the V6 Camaro lol So with that in mind I guess I need to find a way to buck up and do those along with the springs unfortunately

So let me ask you all this question...who makes a better quality spring...BMR or Strano? I was all set on the Strano springs (it looks like they both give the same 1.25" drop) but when I talked to BMR today, they seemed really cool and seemed to offer some pretty good deals

Quick Reply: lowering springs