Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Torque Arm Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
Just took off my Spohn soilds after reading this thread........I was going to get there K-member but now I'll pass on that. Who has the best K-member for are fbodys btw???

hope something good comes out of this for you OP!
UMI is probably the strongest. I have one and it fit great. It's a little on the heavy side, but I would rather have the extra bar in there for a street car. Still lighter than the stock k member and offers a ton more room

PA Racing Chromoly is probably the lightest, but I honestly don't know.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
UMI is probably the strongest. I have one and it fit great. It's a little on the heavy side, but I would rather have the extra bar in there for a street car. Still lighter than the stock k member and offers a ton more room

PA Racing Chromoly is probably the lightest, but I honestly don't know.
thx for the info man.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

StangBanger317. Have you considered just getting the Spohn TA you have professionally TIG welded back together? Just cut out trying to deal with Spohn altogether...
Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
sounds like class action lawsuit kinda ****. lol
Never go anywhere on aftermarket parts that are non professionally installed and that are intended for race conditions. Best thing to do is closely inspect any aftermarket part you put on your car.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Never go anywhere on aftermarket parts that are non professionally installed and that are intended for race conditions. Best thing to do is closely inspect any aftermarket part you put on your car.
Heck, if it broke under normal conditions there is NO WAY I'd trust it in race conditions!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

soo glad i read this, my buddy and i have been lookin for suspension upgrades for our third gens, my fourth gen has umi already , im not goin with spohn junk, lousy customer service and a bs excuse for a crappy piece.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

I'm glad I read this post. I will never buy anything from Spohn again. I got my dad there pro drag sway bar cause I thought it looked like a quality piece. Luckily we went with UMI on the torque arm. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Hey bro, call and talk to the owner Steve. Not that worm that always answers the phones. That's what I would do.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
I have been in welding school for a while and im not an expert at welding, but that weld looked horrible, seems to me like the weld wasnt penetrated good enough. Could have missed a one more weld pass around, but any how that sucks! I would have been mad for sure, I have heard and read really good things about Spohn and also bad things as this. Hopefully they can back your product up and Goodluck!
LOL, your pic in your AVATAR is my brother in laws burnout pic!! here is the video, I had the Ram in there also

Not meaning to derail thread...I have cut multiple 1.39-1.44 60' on My non adj standard EDELBROCK TQ arm..it looks very cool and the welds are fat, Looks to me that Spohn has very small welds or cuts them down to "clean" the look up...IMO a fat bead of weld is what I want to see

$190

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5280/media/images
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2nasty
Hey bro, call and talk to the owner Steve. Not that worm that always answers the phones. That's what I would do.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to call again today. I am very upset, I spent the whole summer preparing this car and then on closing day at the track I didn't even get the opportunity to make one single pass. Never even made it off the start line.

Hopefully Steve can assist me better than the guy I spoke to prior or whoever handles their emails. I have gotten nothing from them in over 2 weeks.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just read all of this,

I hope you get justice for this man. Sorry to see such **** poor customer service from Spohn.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your TQ arm breaking. Not sure what is going on. I have everything on my car from Spohn. The parts have been on the car since 2006.

Talk with Steve for sure!

N2
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

WOW. I received a private message today. NOT from Spohn but from UMI. UMI offered to repair my TA for FREE.. I can not believe they are this helpful when it isn't even their problem. I can definitely say I am very impressed with how UMI has handled themselves. Still in shock at their support. Here is the exact email I received.

Good afternoon.

We've been following your Spohn saga.

We would be happy to repair the torque arm free of charge to get you back on the road.

Return shipment would be the only money required. You can paint the repair or we can strip and powder coat red again for a nominal fee.

Mainly we just want to get you back on the road for a minimal cost as a courtesy to the industry.

Let me know.

thanks

ramey
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StangBanger317
WOW. I received a private message today. NOT from Spohn but from UMI. UMI offered to repair my TA for FREE.. I can not believe they are this helpful when it isn't even their problem. I can definitely say I am very impressed with how UMI has handled themselves. Still in shock at their support. Here is the exact email I received.
dang!

Now that is impressive.

You should forward that to SPOHN lol
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Nice!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool of UMI

I bought mine used and its holding up but if I ever need a new one UMI gets my $$$
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Now that's how you build a customer base! When you plan on being in it for the log haul, as a business owner, this is how you handle and care for your customers. I am very impressed with UMI on this one I must say. Really, they are slinging a litte mud at "the other guys", but dam good on 'em!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THIS is why UMI will receive my suspension business (other that some things from Strano). To step up and offer something like that is really something. It's one thing to warranty your own part and stand up to it, but to repair another company's issues is something that is pretty much unheard of. Not to mention free of charge. Hands down great customer service assuming everything works out. I can say the little suspension parts I've purchased from UMI so far have held up great and I received them in a timely manner. Thumbs up for UMI here.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Sorry, man, but I'm now glad I did not get a Spohn part. My UMI TQ arm looks MUCH more stout than that one. I agree with the welder - I was suprised at 1st glance at how little weld was there. It was a matter of time. Amazing.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

This is the exact reason the 2 of my f-bodies I have ever owned always run UMI products. Ryan is a top notch guy. I've never seen a single person not satisfied with there products. They stand behind any product produced by them. Even replaced a bent Upper A-Arm I bent free of charge.

Quick Reply: Spohn Torque Arm Failure