Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering out of wack!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering out of wack!!!

Please help...got a 2000 ls1 that has steering problems. REAL BAD.. i was pulling out of a drive way when i hear a loud cracking/popping noise under the the front end..thought i just ran over something but as i proceed to turn the steering wheel ( had it cocked all the way till it stopped) the rim/ wheel was barely turning!!! After i got on the road the steering wheel was waaaay off. Did a 180 ..and im going in a straight line...the steering feels reeeeallly light also. Just to change lanes takes a 90 degree turn of the steering wheel...?????? So i got home n jacked ip the car to see if anything is out of place....nothing...everthing is tight.. nothing wobbly or broke.. dont know whats going on...did the 12 / 6 oclock - 3/9 oclock wheel pull and its good..everthing is firm... sorry for the long post...dont know what to do at this point..couldnt take it to the shop cuz everything closed...thanks in advance guys
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like either the Rag Joint in the steering shaft or the Power Steering Rack went.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply...took it to the shop today and the lca bolts came loose...??? Wierd.. so they bolted it back up and welded the bolt a little to the kmember so it wont happen again...can just cut off the weld if anything needs to be changed..all good now! ..thanks

Quick Reply: steering out of wack!!!