Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein Shocks and Spring Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bilstein Shocks and Spring Mount?

I've searched this, but answers were a little vague. How in the heck are you supposed to get the lower spring mount off of the stock decarbons and onto Bilsteins? I don't want to take my car apart and not be able to put it together.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big hammer
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought new ones from Rock Auto.... I got the old assembly out, saw the chaos, did not feel like dicking with it and bought all new parts for the strut and spring. Insulators, little rubber insulator on top and the spring perch.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Just buy some from rock auto. I used an impact to take off the top rusted nut but then the top mounts would not come off the shock which didn't let the sprong mount off. So i had to hack off the mount, way too much trouble if u want to reuse those. Just save some time and buy the upper mounts and spring mounts like said above.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read again, he said lower mounts. They just slide up and off the shock body.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Read again, he said lower mounts. They just slide up and off the shock body.
Right - had to tap it off with a hammer, but didn't take much at all. Also, there will be a brass ring where the orange shock body stops and the piston begins - it's a seat for the bumpstop. That will also have to be removed - just tap with a hammer also - in order to get the lower perch out.

I do want to say, given my experiences this past weekend, count on your mounts being totally shot. After cutting the nuts off with a cutoff wheel, one mount fell apart and the metal sleeve came out of the mount, and the other mount was fused to the shock piston and I couldn't get it apart. Ended up compressing the spring and cutting the shock piston with a sawzall in between the spring coils to get the assembly apart.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Right - had to tap it off with a hammer, but didn't take much at all. Also, there will be a brass ring where the orange shock body stops and the piston begins - it's a seat for the bumpstop. That will also have to be removed - just tap with a hammer also - in order to get the lower perch out.

I do want to say, given my experiences this past weekend, count on your mounts being totally shot. After cutting the nuts off with a cutoff wheel, one mount fell apart and the metal sleeve came out of the mount, and the other mount was fused to the shock piston and I couldn't get it apart. Ended up compressing the spring and cutting the shock piston with a sawzall in between the spring coils to get the assembly apart.
Thanks. I've gotten new uppers already. I've helped lower other cars. The shocks they got were oem replacements and had the lower spring mount already on them.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shocks and Spring Mount?