Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering spring and sway bars question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering spring and sway bars question

I dont know to much about cars so here it goes.

I want to drop the ride hieght 1 to 1.5inches. Ive found 1.35inch lowering springs and my buddy has the 5.0 mustang and says he loves them. I guess im trying to see what everyones opinion on lowering springs actually is.

I also want to buy new sway bars for the car but if the ones the car comes with are better then I will stick with them. If I do decide to switch them out what are some good brands to go with?

Thank you for all the help.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Search around on here ... Plenty of discussions on springs and sways!

... And never take advice from a mustang guy!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NotoriousLS1
I dont know to much about cars so here it goes.

I want to drop the ride hieght 1 to 1.5inches. Ive found 1.35inch lowering springs and my buddy has the 5.0 mustang and says he loves them. I guess im trying to see what everyones opinion on lowering springs actually is.

I also want to buy new sway bars for the car but if the ones the car comes with are better then I will stick with them. If I do decide to switch them out what are some good brands to go with?

Thank you for all the help.
Here you go, everything you need to properly lower your car for under $500.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...d=57&catid=158

If you want new shocks, struts, end links, and sway bars all in one package, you might like this.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=825
Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHope
Here you go, everything you need to properly lower your car for under $500.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...d=57&catid=158
LCA reloction bracket are not something that is needed, of course the guys selling them will tell you they are though.

As the first reply said, use the search feature there are countless threads on this topic.
Decide what matters to you as well, like ride quality, handling, feel, and traction. There will be sacrifices in one area to help another.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
LCA reloction bracket are not something that is needed, of course the guys selling them will tell you they are though.

As the first reply said, use the search feature there are countless threads on this topic.
Decide what matters to you as well, like ride quality, handling, feel, and traction. There will be sacrifices in one area to help another.
Are the LCA relocation brackets completely pointless? I wasn't aware of that.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

LCA bars help with straight line performance, not with handling. It's one or the other. That's why there's many different setups one can do with fbodies, to see what best for DIFFERENT needs. Not everyone needs 1.5 60's nor a car that outhandles bikes.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zlow28
LCA bars help with straight line performance, not with handling. It's one or the other. That's why there's many different setups one can do with fbodies, to see what best for DIFFERENT needs. Not everyone needs 1.5 60's nor a car that outhandles bikes.
By just lowering the car would you be losing off the line performance?

If LCA's help with straight line performance and the lowering springs help with handling, it sounds like the best of both worlds to me.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

So if you lower your car, and you don't put LCA brackets in... you lose straight line but gain cornering... if you put brackets in you lose cornering but gain straight line? :O
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThoR294
So if you lower your car, and you don't put LCA brackets in... you lose straight line but gain cornering... if you put brackets in you lose cornering but gain straight line? :O
I have to say that's pretty much what I gathered from it.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well... that's no fun
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoHope
By just lowering the car would you be losing off the line performance?...
Im no expert in suspension, but i dont think youll loose anything by lowering a stockish car. for drag cars, theres a lot more factors you have to think about like weight transfer and rear wheel rubbing on the car.

LCA relocation brackets help eliminate wheel hop but they can cause binding around the joints or where they connect. Especially at higher speed like road racing.

Mixing suspension settings between road racing and drag racing, doesnt always equal best of both worlds. Kinda like engine components, they work best when properly combined.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sway bars are one of those things that people have differing opinions. Some upgrade to heavier and thicker bars, some put on the V6 car bars, or performance hollow bars to reduce weight. I have ST bars, heavy as hell, thick tho. You want to drag race or road race? If you just want a good handling ride and weight doesn't matter, look for a good deal on aftermarket bars, just measure yours and make sure you aren't buying the same bar with a different name.

regarding the lowering springs, there is wide variety from ebay garbage to high quality springs. The Ebay ones are so cheap that if one of them gives out, you could buy an entire new set and start over. I bought Vogtland from Germany, mid priced, good quality spring. Lowers about 1.25". I did buy the Founder's LCA relocation brackets. I just wanted it done right once, then forget about it.

Last edited by RJDio; 04-26-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Lowering spring and sway bars question