Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question about adjusting toe

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about adjusting toe

i know that with my jeep, i need to pop the ball joints out on my tie rod ends and turn them to adjust the toe. im doing a bit of planning as ill be getting my camaro out of storage in a week, but is it the same on the camaro? i honestly have never messed with alignment on rack and pinion cars, but it looks like i can just loosen the lock nut on the outer tie rod end, and rotate the tie rod itself? or do i have to pop the tie rod end ball joint off the steering knuckle and rotate the tie rod end?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just loosen the jam nut. There's 'wrench flats' in the middle of the tie rods so you can turn them with a wrench.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Just loosen the jam nut. There's 'wrench flats' in the middle of the tie rods so you can turn them with a wrench.
Correct.

IIRC, those "flats" are 13MM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of jeep i've never had to take a tie rod end off to align a car. But as said before jamb nut loose then turn the inner tie rod to adj. sometimes the inner tie rod can be corroded in the outer tie rod or even the jamb nut. Problems we have in the north a little heat can fix it if you can't break them free with a good pliers.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just make sure the rod rotates in the boot and doesn't twist the bellows all up. The boot sometimes sticks to the rod. Happened to mine and I had to replace the bellows because it got twisted and tore from the stress.

Quick Reply: question about adjusting toe