Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How do you replace Brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you replace Brake lines?

I have ls1 calipers and spindles waiting to go on my 96 camaro z28.

Just recently installed koni/strano sitting at 27" even all the way around.

Strano bars on back order.

Uprading brakes is the next thing I need to do before I install my global west upper control arms -- in the box -- and my 17 x 11 zr1's all the way around. The only thing stopping me from ordering pads/rotors/lines is that I don't really know how to install the brake lines.

I do all the work on my car though, so paying someone is out of the question. Helps me get by on a college budget.

I have tourque wrenches and plan to use stoptech str 600 brake fluid -- suppose to be better than ate super blue and only 1 dollar more per can/bottle.

Am I supposed to drain the brake fluid first or just let it drip out of the hard line? Do I need to worry about air getting into the abs? I don't know anyone who could use a scanner tool to bleed it in that case.

I must be missing something because people make the ls1 swap sound so easy, bolt in spindle etc etc, but no one talks about how to change brake lines? wtf guys... lol. I did a search but didn't find anything.

So yeah spindle install, easy, caliper install not too bad, pad install not too bad, brake line install -- -- lol.

Last edited by Robbie Wilson; 06-17-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Staging Lane

Just disconnect the rubber line from the hard line where it meets the frame. Be very careful not to twist or break the hardline. I needed longer rubber lines so I ended up using the ls1 lines. Bolt it up to the calipers(don't forget the crush washers). Bolt everything else up and bleed the brakes. I bled mine till I had good pedal than drove it and locked them up to get ABS to kick on, then rebled
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Try not to let a lot of fluid come out of the hard line after the hose is disconnected. If it's off for a short period of time, then that should be ok. But I left mine off for several days and it was a pain to get the fluid back to a good state. I was chasing a soft pedal problem for a while
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy job... you just need a line wrech and make sure you don't move the hard line (you just loosen the fitting and remove the little "C" clip AFTER you loosen the line). I got stainless steel lines from strano (to replace the flexible lines.)

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=195&ModelID=8

Fronts were a cake, have not done the rears yet (hopefully friday or next).

Job is super easy... Also, don't forget to bleed the brakes

Quick Reply: How do you replace Brake lines?