Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM
92v
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake problems

I have a Y2K WS6 with 119K miles. I think the brakes have been dragging for a while. During a 2 hour drive on a curvy road I noticed a clicking noise that sounded like a rock in a tire, but it didn't go away. Upon inspection I discovered that both rear brake discs were cracked, with 2 cracks in each disc. The clicking was one of the cracks passing under the pad.
So I got new discs and pads and replaced the damaged parts. Now I need to find out what caused it. The pistons were pretty hard to get moving when pressing them back in the caliper, but went easy after about halfway in. After installing the caliper, everything turned fine. Then I started the car, turned off the TCS and ran it on the stands. All good until I applied the brakes. The pads do not retract at all. The discs locked up tight on both rears. I removed one of the brake lines from the right side caliper and aprox an ounce of fluid dripped out of the line in about 5-10 minutes. I didn't see any fluid drip from the caliper and the pads are still tight enough that the disc can't be turned.
This makes me think the problem is stuck pistons, but the devil on my shoulder keeps muttering " Not both, at the same time. There is something else causing this." So I need the group experience with these brake systems to tell what you think is going on here. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for parts just to find out it is something else. Knowledgeable opinions appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried cleaning then greasing the caliper slid pins and bores ?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 AM
92v
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Have you tried cleaning then greasing the caliper slid pins and bores ?
Yes, I cleaned the pin bores and pins. Reloaded them with grease and made sure they moved easily without binding. About the only resistance was grease suction.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you apply the gas pedal and spin the wheels? The brakes don't retract on their own when you lift the brake pedal.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 PM
92v
Teching In

Yeah, the right rear anyway. I could get that side to move with difficulty after draining some fluid. The driver side is not going to turn period. I am going to pop the pistons out and rebuild the calipers. The new seals should be in tomorrow, so hopefully that will free them up.

Quick Reply: Rear brake problems