Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions about upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about upgrading

I'm looking at some new parts to order and just want to hear any recommendations. My 99 SS is all stock except for a spohn tunnel brace and strut tower bar. I'm looking at their tubular sfc's and 32/21mm sway bar kit and a non adjustable panhard bar. I'm picky when it comes to having things matching but I don't read too much praise for spohn on here, I'm not looking to spend a fortune and these are both pretty affordable but I'm open to opinions.

The other upgrade I'm considering is the slp eibach/bilstein package I see on just about every 4th gen parts site. How much different or better is this than my stock setup? Again its on the more affordable side and I'm just looking to upgrade as i\m over 100,000 km's anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
I'm looking at some new parts to order and just want to hear any recommendations. My 99 SS is all stock except for a spohn tunnel brace and strut tower bar. I'm looking at their tubular sfc's and 32/21mm sway bar kit and a non adjustable panhard bar. I'm picky when it comes to having things matching but I don't read too much praise for spohn on here, I'm not looking to spend a fortune and these are both pretty affordable but I'm open to opinions.

The other upgrade I'm considering is the slp eibach/bilstein package I see on just about every 4th gen parts site. How much different or better is this than my stock setup? Again its on the more affordable side and I'm just looking to upgrade as i\m over 100,000 km's anyway.
First what are you looking to do/accomplish with the car/parts? Drag racing? Handling? Ride quality?
32mm/21mm swaybars are rear biased, and would induce oversteer. A balanced, proven upgrade would be 35mm front, 22mm (or 21mm) rear bar. (umi or strano sell these).
A non-adjustble PHB is pointless IMO, i doubt you would notice a difference, and these rears rarely sit perfectly even from the factory so an adjustable would at least let you center the rear end.
If you want a more stable, planted and all around better handling ride then you want some gas charged sport shocks (koni ideally, bilstien a far second place). Good shocks will make the most difference out of any suspension mod, period (ask me how I know).
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

I don't drag the car but that's not to say I wouldn't in the future. It's really just a street car and I'm seeing so many different suspension parts I'm not sure whats worth buying, everything from lca's, sfc's, k-members, sway bar kits, a-arms, phb's. Not to mention adjustable or non adjustable? Like I put it's mainly a street car so I would suppose a bit of ride quality and handling is more what I'm looking at. I would like to install some of these parts in sets as I'm not home much due to work and want to make the most out of my time and money.

I'm looking to tackle some suspension before I do any major work on the engine so out of those parts what does a person really need to improve on or replace over stock for basically a street car?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like JD said, Koni/Bilstein Shocks, Strano hollow sways first, and if you value handling -- a Fays 2 watts link over a PHB. SFCs especially in a convertible, but I have them in my coupe as well, which reduces flex and improves tracking around corners and rigidity over rough surfaces. Do the above first. Moog/1LE bushings in the rear LCAs, but the difference is difficult to detect in my experience.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
I don't drag the car but that's not to say I wouldn't in the future. It's really just a street car and I'm seeing so many different suspension parts I'm not sure whats worth buying, everything from lca's, sfc's, k-members, sway bar kits, a-arms, phb's. Not to mention adjustable or non adjustable? Like I put it's mainly a street car so I would suppose a bit of ride quality and handling is more what I'm looking at. I would like to install some of these parts in sets as I'm not home much due to work and want to make the most out of my time and money.

I'm looking to tackle some suspension before I do any major work on the engine so out of those parts what does a person really need to improve on or replace over stock for basically a street car?
Give me a call... I can work with you on your needs and budget and get you the performance you are looking for for sure. There are a lot of options out there and you don't need to spend your money twice.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Spend some time and do a search of the different suspension components you mentioned. There is a ton of info, some good and some BS.. I dont believe one person has the answer. You have to figure it out for your self.

Quick Reply: Questions about upgrading