Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

power steering question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering question.

so 2 months back i randomly noticed a leak looked either tranny or power steering fluid. i kept and eye on the levels and turned out to be a power steering fluid. 2 days ago my whole power steering fluid was gone, turned out to be a cracked hose. today i replaced the hose and filled the system with a dexron VI fluid. my question is should I just refill the thing? or is there a way to do it?

I just unbolted the line and all the fluid came out. and i simply refilled it with Dexron VI. is there anyway around it? am asking because I feel the pump has a little whine to it..it could be in my head though lol any suggestions would be great. thank you!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

anyone? care drives fine, its just paranoia lol
Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might have air in your power steering system. If so you will have to bleed it out. the air in the pump is most likely what is causing the whine...

Lift up the front of the car so the wheels are off the ground, fill the reservoir (to the cold mark) and fully turn the wheel to each side while keeping an eye on the fluid level. Fluid level should go down.

When i bled my system after installing a ps cooler, i did it 20 times for each side with the car off and then 30-40 times each side with the car on. the numbers may vary but that was my experience.

note, while the car is off you can keep the ps reservoir cap off. When you bleed with the car on, keep the reservoir cap on but leave it unscrewed...there are other ways that work but for me, that was the simplest.

hope this helps.

eid mubarak!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brigade24
you might have air in your power steering system. If so you will have to bleed it out. the air in the pump is most likely what is causing the whine...

Lift up the front of the car so the wheels are off the ground, fill the reservoir (to the cold mark) and fully turn the wheel to each side while keeping an eye on the fluid level. Fluid level should go down.

When i bled my system after installing a ps cooler, i did it 20 times for each side with the car off and then 30-40 times each side with the car on. the numbers may vary but that was my experience.

note, while the car is off you can keep the ps reservoir cap off. When you bleed with the car on, keep the reservoir cap on but leave it unscrewed...there are other ways that work but for me, that was the simplest.

hope this helps.

eid mubarak!
thanks for the reply. i did leave my cap off while it was draining but once i reconnected the line i just simply filled the pump. might do this over the weekend.

eid mubarak to you too

Quick Reply: power steering question.