Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which suspension components?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which suspension components?

Hello everybody I recently did a little upgrading to my suspension with bilstein shocks and bmr spring and a phb. I wanted to know which suspension components play a major role in ride quality? Im really happy with how much more firm the car feels compared to how it was before the spring shock swap. That is really one of the biggest differences that i felt. I was wondering what other parts i could change that would benefit the ride quality? Would swapping upper a arms with new a arms that have new bushings and ball joints improve the ride?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well new bushings will help with body roll and will for sure tighten up the car, guess I don't know what you are looking for for ride quality!?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by elis94camaro
Hello everybody I recently did a little upgrading to my suspension with bilstein shocks and bmr spring and a phb. I wanted to know which suspension components play a major role in ride quality? Im really happy with how much more firm the car feels compared to how it was before the spring shock swap. That is really one of the biggest differences that i felt. I was wondering what other parts i could change that would benefit the ride quality? Would swapping upper a arms with new a arms that have new bushings and ball joints improve the ride?
It is good to hear that you are happy with your BMR parts!

Since it sounds like you are more interested in handling and having a more precise and firm ride I would really look into front and rear sway bars as your next mod. They will provide you with the feel you are looking for and substantially improve the handling of the vehicle. A good set of tubular upper and lower a-arms like our BMR offerings do articulate more freely but you won't notice a real improvement in the ride of the vehicle unless the ball joint or bushings in your factory upper and lower a-arms are in rough shape.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elis94camaro
...Would swapping upper a arms with new a arms that have new bushings and ball joints improve the ride?
that depends on what kind of bushings you use.

if you go with stock-style rubber bushings, and your current ones are worn out pretty badly, then yes, your ride quality should improve.

however, if you go all rod-ended components and/or poly bushings, the ride quality will likely decrease, due to the reduction of deflection/shock absorption.

either of those will improve the responsiveness, but at the cost of ride quality (comfort-wise). those components will transmit more NVH into the frame of the car, which will rattle your teeth more on every little bump.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind that the tires you have on the car, and the amount of air pressure you have in them also plays a big part in ride quality. Furthermore installing heavier low cost cast wheels will also degrade the ride quality.

Quick Reply: Which suspension components?