Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watts Link

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:19 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Watts Link

I wonder what people think of the Fays2 Watts Link vs the Whiteline Watts Link?

Fays2:

Whiteline:

That Whiteline is for a Mustang, but the concept is the same. How does it compare regarding geometry, function, and durability? Is it even possibly to fit something like that on a 4th-gen f-body?

I'd love to see Sam's input (I think he worked on the Fays2, right?).

The Whiteline unit looks simpler, smaller, lighter and probably more comfortable and quieter due to the bushings instead of rod ends. But none of that matters if it doesn't perform as well or as durable or even fit. So just wondering. How does it compare?

First thing I noticed on the Whiteline is that the pivot point may be off center (but that may just an optical illusion), and it appears that the Fays2 is more adjustable.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-18-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how I'd feel about the differential cover being used as part of the assembly...I don't know how much stress it would put on it, but I don't think the cover was ever meant to be used for loads of any sort.

I had bought a Fays2 back in the day, but never got around to installing it due to lack of clearance with my exhaust...I really wish I had gotten to try it before I sold my Camaro.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not to thread jack, but it would be interesting to look at the Fays2 VS MWC as well. I agree on not liking the cover being part of the assembly, especially if it was going to be used with the 10 bolt.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Does MWC make a watts that works with the factory rear end? I assumed it was only an option for their fab 9 housings.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Does MWC make a watts that works with the factory rear end? I assumed it was only an option for their fab 9 housings.
I actually just emailed Eric on this last night. "The watts link will work with both the stock 10 bolt and the 9" rear, but the 9" housing will have a slightly different mount. The frame, propellor, and the linkage is the same for both."
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mustang whiteline one does not look as adjustable as the fays 2. I know with the fays 2 you can change the roll center of the car by adjusting where the bolt is in middle assembly. Not to mention the fays incorporates the replacement of the panhard bar for the assembly and is a bolt in replacement.

They both function the same just the fays seems to be more adjustable.

I would go out of my way to get the whiteline kit fabbed up to fit our car it will just end up costing you more money. If you are going to fab something up you should be doing everything for your car like 198esp on frrax.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do build a watts link for the 10 bolt rear end. Give us a call and we can go over everything with you personally!!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the MWC watt's link. I first put it on my 10 bolt for a few years, then when I blew that up finally migrated it over to the 9inch after calling up MWC for 9 inch size brackets (3 inch diameter).

The fays/mwc bracket is a "reverse" watt's link design, but I find it works just as effectively in centering the car. As long as the travel motion does not exceed the arm length, the central pivot will remain centered relative to the car.

This setup is also used in the Australian V8 supercar series which has a lot more research and testing done which shows it is a viable design that works.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Pictures of this MWC 10 bolt watts link anywhere?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You mean this one? Its on their site.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 AM
scj
TECH Addict

I've seen this picture, just not any of it installed on a 10bolt.

I know it's lighter than the fays2, but I feel like compromising weight on something like this May not be the greatest idea as far as strength goes. Any input? The fays 2 unit looks very sturdy and far less flimsy than the MWC.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure where you can associate anything MWC builds and the word "flimsy". These parts are lighter, yes, but far from weak.

My 9" rearend is the lightest on the market, but far from weak.. 6 second 1/4 mile times at over 214 mph in a 3300 pound stock suspension f-body for just one example.

It's strength is by design and materials selection. On the MWC Watts Link there are no front-to-back bends in the chromoly TIG welded frame, and you can see it is gusseted. The propeller bearing is an aircraft grade double row unit for smooth and precise motion. The heim joints are made of high strength chromoly and do not have a cheap plastic race that wears out. It is a fully adjustable setup for rearend centering and the proper adjustability for roll center and ride height.

If you have questions just ask!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Not sure where you can associate anything MWC builds and the word "flimsy". These parts are lighter, yes, but far from weak.

My 9" rearend is the lightest on the market, but far from weak.. 6 second 1/4 mile times at over 214 mph in a 3300 pound stock suspension f-body for just one example.

It's strength is by design and materials selection. On the MWC Watts Link there are no front-to-back bends in the chromoly TIG welded frame, and you can see it is gusseted. The propeller bearing is an aircraft grade double row unit for smooth and precise motion. The heim joints are made of high strength chromoly and do not have a cheap plastic race that wears out. It is a fully adjustable setup for rearend centering and the proper adjustability for roll center and ride height.

If you have questions just ask!
I'm not knocking on anything you guys build, and have no doubt your products are nice. My thought is the fays unit is far more material, beefier all around, which makes me believe this piece needs to be very rigid and strong. I have no doubt that your unit is lighter, just the amount of material is substantially less than the fays unit. I'm just wondering if the material and weight difference between the units is going to be a disadvantage or moot point. Is the weight difference your watts has to offer opposed to the fays unit going to sacrifice a necessary point of strength and rigidity that the fays unit looks to have in comparison to yours. I'm not saying that the fays watts is indeed stronger than your , it just looks as if it is, actual tests may say a complete opposite. This is what I'm wondering. Will your watts withstand open road racing, or is it more drag oriented with weight savings in mind?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I think the man said it all ...
Originally Posted by ssvert99
It's strength is by design and materials selection.
I've never used any of their products, but I've studied them, and in retrospect, wished I had in some cases. Thoughtful and careful engineering throughout, it seems to me ...
Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I carry Whiteline and of course Fays2. I have customers with both on Mustangs, and I can tell you we've never had a Fays2 fail, there have been some issues with the Whilteline... and you have less adjustment. Now it's a moot point here since there is no Whiteline for the f-body unless you want to do a LOT of work.

When you get to comparing to other things you want to look at how things are built, the frames, and even things like bolt sizes. Remember that a Watts link is carrying all the lateral load which ends up going through the one bolt in the propeller. This is where the stresses involved in various differences of motorsport will make a difference. Running 315 A6's on 11" wheels and pulling 1.2 lateral is quite different all the way around than what a car sees when drag racing. Doesn't make one thing better than another, but it is a different situation and puts vastly different loads into vastly different things.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Watts Link