Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front A Arms rebuild or replace??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front A Arms rebuild or replace??

Looking to do some front end work on my TA. It's a weekend fun car but the front end is shot with 120k on it. Should I even try to replace the bushings in the front lower arms or just go with a set of UMI boxed lowers?? I've heard horror stories about the lowers bending when pressing in new bushings and ball joints.

The uppers should be pretty easy to change out the bushings and ball joints. I figured someone would have a good deal with Black Friday around the corner. I eventually want to be able to run the car in standing mile events and possibly at the salt flats.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't have bushing tools, I'd say to get whole assemblies.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New ones: if you're considering it, you don't mind spending the cash obviously, so do it. Also will drop weight which is always nice.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replace my upper and lower arm bushing. Pretty easy since I have all the tools to do the work. And it is way cheaper than buying $700 in control arms just for worn bushings. I vote for R&R bushings
Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JJsQwuik
I just replace my upper and lower arm bushing. Pretty easy since I have all the tools to do the work. And it is way cheaper than buying $700 in control arms just for worn bushings. I vote for R&R bushings
I agree. A ball joint press and a little patience is all that's required.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered the boxed lowers from UMI and decided to rebuild the uppers. Should make it a pretty easy swap. Gonna put in a set of bmr springs and some koni yellows also.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Hey, fair warning to anybody else reading the lower ball joints can be a pain if you are going to do those. I've got the tools and my lower arms weren't worn out enough to allow the slightly (2 thous") Moog joints to go in. These are not "oversize" joints. They just make them a hair bigger in case you stretch your lower arms.

So, I just rebuilt my whole front end and yeah its not fun. The uppers are not bad. Most bushing kits will make you re-use the steel inserts and its fun trying to get the rubber out. I had the best luck drilling around the entire bushing and taking the center sleeve out. Then prying the rest out with a screwdriver. Used heat to burn what I could not get out. If you just try and burn the whole thing out it will stink and make a giant mess. Burn as little as possible. Steel bushing is on the soft side so try not to mar it up too bad. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Front A Arms rebuild or replace??