Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering

I have a 1966 gto convert with a LS-1 and T56 tires are 215/45R17, my problem is I have a stock LS power steering pump and a stock 1966 box car drives well except no road feel and it will not return on corners, I am working hard to drive it seems to wander. I have been to two different alignment shops seems nobody can tell me the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m not up to speed on your year but some general comments about 60s GM chassis:

I’ve swapped fast ratio/high effort newer steering boxes into three first gen Camaros and also a ’72 El Camino. The Camaros used IROC Camaro boxes and the El Camino took a Jeep Grand Cherokee box. I moved the upper control arm attachment point (Guldstand Mod) on the Camaros and swapped 1978 Trans Am, spindles on the El Camino (cool when I did it 22 years ago but there are better ways to go now).

One of the factors in steering return is caster. I have a more than stock on all of these modified cars. Combined with fresh components and slightly larger sway bars all of these cars have transformed from what you’d expect of an old car into cars that are a pleasure to drive.

I would bet that there is an appropriate late model box for your application. Combined with some simple stuff you can really wake up an A Body pretty cheaply.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to look into reducing the pressure output from your PS pump. I did this by getting a Turn One pump, but there are probably other otions for your application. Older PS boxes take relatively little pressure (@ 900 psi) compared to new ones (can reach 2300 psi). If you do the jeep swap, that might change, as those boxes take more pressure than a 60s box.

Quick Reply: steering