Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Noise...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Default Brake Noise...HELP!

Hey all,
I have an '02 Z. 3.23 rear w/ posi (factory rear). I have stock brakes and have been chasing down brake noise for a while now. It only comes from the rear and it is an intermittent "tick". Sounded like what warped rotors usually sounds like, just pads scraping in one raised spot So, as logic would have it, i had the rotors turned. No dice. Noise was still there, granted it was a little quieter. (This may have just been my wishful thinking) So, i did what i should've done when i got the rotors turned, and put new pads on as the old ones were close enough to being done for.
So, even after new pads and the rotors turned on both sides, i still have the most obnoxious (and sometimes for me, embarrassing) brake noise coming from both driver and passenger sides.

So, what can I do or what should I check to get rid of this noise once and for all?!?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

bump.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try applying thin of dampening paste at the back of the brake pads. See the procedures in applying
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's most likely the parking brake shoe on the inside drum part of the rear rotor. the parking brake shoe rides or slides against the tin backing plate , and everything is metal. what happened to me years ago i would get a squeak chirp kinda noise that would get faster with speed up to about 30 mph.
the good news is it's fairly easy and inexpensive to fix this kind of problem. on mine when i got the rotor off i could move the shoe by hand and pretty much duplicate the noise. all you really need to do is adjust the parking brake shoe, clean everything, and apply a light coat of brake caliper grease to where the shoe sits against the tin backing plate to keep it quiet. bad news is, if you have traction control and have reluctor rings on the rear axles, then you have to drain the differential remove c-clips and remove the rear axles to get at the parking brake shoes.
other thing to consider depending on how you use your car and if you require the parking brake, is to remove the parking brake shoes and see if the noise goes away.

Quick Reply: Brake Noise...HELP!