Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Issue/ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake Issue/ABS?

Issue I am having is when braking it feels like the ABS is kicking in but the lights are not lighting up showing they are in use. Only light I have on is the TCS light and it is unplugged from what I can remember. The braking I have is horrible because no matter how much pressure I put on the pedal, 90% of the time it feels like the ABS is trying to compensate for skidding when I am not. Pads and rotors are fine, probably about 10k miles on them and haven't had issues with them at all.
I have been researching on here for a while and I feel like maybe the hub/speed sensor could be causing this but is there a way to check that it is working?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and I have about 118k and the hubs are original. I know I should just replace the hubs but it would be nice to know which one was bad so I could start with that one if that be the case.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I've never seen a car whose abs light comes on when the system activates. On the contrary, the lights on the dash are generally warnings that something is wrong, and the abs/brake lights come on when the computer deactivates and disables the system due to a fault, example a bad sensor. If you're getting abs application when it isn't needed then it sounds like the abs block under the hood needs to be replaced, as it is solely responsible for activating abs.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if that was the case wouldn't the abs light be on then?
I guess I was thinking that maybe the wheel sensors could not be functioning correctly causing the abs to think the front wheels were not in sink.....

Last edited by Platinum WS6; 02-24-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so I figured it out, the TC wires that plug into the TC unit were exposed in an area from where I relocated it behind the computer. I cut the wires clean, soldered them and put heat shrink around them. I guess they were grounding out and freaking out the circuit. Anyway....FIXED!

Quick Reply: Brake Issue/ABS?