Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

changing rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing rack and pinion

will be changing my rack and pinion, read good things about the reman. part i ordered. A1 cardone 22-185. looking through some more internet after i got the part, its looking like i will lose a bit of my wheel lock with it? some say that if the car came with FE suspension, the original rack had 2 1/4 turns till full lock, and those without FE suspension have 2 3/4 turns to full lock. i checked the part number for my reman. part and its the same for v6. the website i ordered from has an AC delco one, but it was much more expensive but it lists it for FE suspension. say i stick with the one i have, is there a difference really in the reman rack vs the reman AC delco one? and will i actually feel it in the steering to the point where i will regret it? also are new outer tie rods necessary or just good general practice. ive already spent a lot of money and i dont necessarily want to get them if they arent needed.

thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

On mine I did notice a little loss in the amount of turn (lock to lock) the wheel had that effected my turning radius in tight spots in driveway loops but anywhere except for that loop everything is fine.

as for outer, honestly it would be foolish to go thru the trouble of replacing all these front end parts and getting an alignment when reusing the outer tie rod ends, think about it an extra 60 now (for the ends) could save you another 50-100 bucks down the road in the cost of a second alignment when you realize the OK ends have gone bad, it's just not worth the risk or the hassle of climbing back under the car a second time. Do it once do it RIGHT.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I didn't figure the rack would be that much of an issue, glad to hear it first hand. And yeah I guess $60 is worth the piece of mind. Thanks Daniel, you've been tons of help! Have everything just waiting on Strano sways and now moog outer tie rod ends
Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

I got the replacement bushing from Founders (one of the ones in the bag was the wrong size) and got the passenger side rear lower control arm installed and did the BMR lowering spring and Bilstein SLP rear shock on that side while I was there, but ran out of time and daylight to do the drivers side shock and spring so if it doesn't rain then I will be finishing the rear suspension upgrades tomorrow. Next weekend I'll probably be getting the axle back section of my exhaust bolted up or if I get my replacement front upper ball joints by then I may tear the front end apart.

Quick Reply: changing rack and pinion