Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm fitment problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default Torque arm fitment problem

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a weird issue here- I have a 2002 Ls1 Camaro and I am trying to swap in the tunnel mount torque arm from sphon into the car and it doesn't seem to want to clear the exhaust.

The car currently has stock Headers, stock Y-pipe and a corsa catback.

I have the normal straight torque arm crossmember from sphon as well as the longtube style one that I picked up for when I eventually swap on Lt headers next year.

BOTH don't clear the factory exhaust...now I know the straight crossmember cleared my old v6 Camaro just fine, so what is the issue here?

When I put the straight crossmember into place I can't get the bolt holes to line up because the driveshaft safety loop hits the exhaust. It looks like it needs to go about another .5 - 1 inch over to the passenger side of the car.

Any thoughts? below is pictures of the setup I have

Attached Thumbnails Torque arm fitment problem-img_1224.jpg   Torque arm fitment problem-img_1225.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014 | 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Reroute exhaust? or grab the torque arm crossmember that welds into the subrafme connectors. or maybe even a spacer if its just half and inch but youll have to double check your pinion.
Old 03-29-2014 | 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NATHANIALPOPE
Reroute exhaust? or grab the torque arm crossmember that welds into the subrafme connectors. or maybe even a spacer if its just half and inch but youll have to double check your pinion.
The easy fix at this point would be to chop the safety loop off because that is what seems to be interfering with the exhaust.

But I really don't want to not have a safety loop. A spaced wouldn't work because it needs to shift sideways not up and down

I'm just baffled by how this is an issue, I know it fit my v6 fine, and I bought it off a guy with a v8 that used it before me and he was fine... and this car was bone stock when I bought it, so it's not like someone maybe half *** did something and screwed it up...
Old 03-30-2014 | 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Am I really the only one to encounter this?
Old 03-31-2014 | 04:46 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Mike I gave you a couple of suggestions on CCFBG
Old 04-02-2014 | 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

here is a few photos of the issue, you can see below that the bar isn't lined up with the bolts from both the left /right perspective and the up/down perspective due to the loop hitting the exhaust

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Torque arm fitment problem-img_12371.jpg   Torque arm fitment problem-img_12413.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014 | 01:03 PM
On The Tree

I recently swapped out my torque arm, and since my (custom) y-pipe was an issue, I just went ahead and redid my exhaust. It was ugly under there anyway, and now things look great.

Quick Reply: Torque arm fitment problem