Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes pull hard right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes pull hard right?

02 camaro B4C car with the SJM top mount line line lock. Doing down the road under heavy braking the car pulls HARD to the right. On a grass lot at ~5MPH if I lock up the brakes the left caliper locks up and slides more then the right does. If I use the line lock and try to do a burnout it snatches the steering wheel to the right and the rear of the car goes left like a turning brake on a tractor. This is confirmed in the grass lot on the line lock the right front locks up and the left rolls. I have bled the brakes using the over and over and have activated the ABS and re-bled them and I get no air out of the system at all.

Any help as to why this is happening? All brake pads, calipers, and caliper slides are free and working as they should.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

If and only if you are absolutely certain that all the calipers and slides are free plus the rotors have similar and a clean surfaces....then you may have a faulty ABS unit or plugged brake hose. Believe it or not when someone performs a brake job and presses the caliper piston in without relieving that fluid out of the bleeder all that nasty brake fluid re-enters the abs unit and has potential to plug up the internal passages and valves. If you have deleted or tried bypassing your ABS then you most likely have a collapsed hose. I would loosen the brake hoses or open the bleeder, remove the master cap and see if they both drip before I did anything else. That may give you an indicator even though it's not a real technical test. lol
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Teching In

both front brakes bled fine so it seems like the hoses are ok. Something new to add though the line lock only holds pressure on the right front brake. With the car on stands and the normal foot brake applied both front brakes lock up. Press the line lock button and release the brake pedal the left wheel spins free but the right wheel stays locked. I'm not sure how all the valves and passages work in the ABS but it almost seems like something is crossed or something? As far as I know the brake system is 100% stock other then the line lock and the car only has 116k miles on it. Maybe did the B4C police package have a different brake setup then the normal Z/28?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Teching In

found the problem.. someone swapped two of the brake lines coming out of the ABS block for some reason either the guy that put the motor in or the guy that installed the line lock. So the left front wheel was getting what should have been the rear brake pressure and vise versa.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Good find

Quick Reply: brakes pull hard right?