Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

One thing leads to another!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One thing leads to another!!!

DAMN!!! So I go and pull the car out cause my son is planning to bring the Z for the alignment in the morning for me.... As Im pulling back up the drive, my son says he heard a noise.... Im like WTF??? I have him shake the steering wheel as I climb under to have a quick look.... I hear a knocking sound as he rocks the wheel back and forth. Back into the garage and up on the lift. It sounds like its coming from the rack!! I pulled the dust boots off, and as he rocked the wheel the noise is there and the left side cylinder section seems to be whats making the sound and it also seems to be moving up and down a bit. The inner tie rod seems to move in unison with the chrome cylinder....that tells me its the frikken rack !!!! It seems that after installing all the new bushings, tie rods and ball joints, that it exposed a weakness in the rack.... I hadn't heard this or felt it before all the new parts.... I checked all the bolts and fasteners, and its all tight. Man this SUCKS!!!! Rack is already ordered from Rock Auto...
Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget about that alignment until the new rack goes in!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Forget about that alignment until the new rack goes in!
Yea... part is on its way. Got the CarDone unit from Rock Auto with dust boots and inner tie rods...just sucks, wanted to cruise this weekend...
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Cardone has decent rebuilt stuff. We never really had any issues when I used to work in parts. Are you going to reuse your outer rods? Either way, I would put the racks next to each other and adjust the install of the outers on the new rack as close as possible to the location on the old. You obviously don't need to be precise since you're getting it aligned, but at least this will help on the drive over.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Pulled that bitch out today on my lunch hour!! Pretty damn easy actually.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Pulled that bitch out today on my lunch hour!! Pretty damn easy actually.
Yeah ... they are easy. Especially if it's been done before and the L bolt is upside down!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Yeah ... they are easy. Especially if it's been done before and the L bolt is upside down!
Have an LT1 not LSx....bolts came right out!! Maybe the one better thing the LT has over the LS
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Just ensure that the rack has the same angle for the attachment of the steering shaft. They have been many cases where people get a new rack and it's for the wrong car (LS1 vs LT1). For some reason, the rebuilds are not listed clearly for the applications in most all publications.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Just ensure that the rack has the same angle for the attachment of the steering shaft. They have been many cases where people get a new rack and it's for the wrong car (LS1 vs LT1). For some reason, the rebuilds are not listed clearly for the applications in most all publications.
Ok, will definitely double and tripple check the whole thing. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Got it all buttoned up after work last night. Took it out for a drive and WOW, what a huge difference. No clunks, no sounds period. Even without alignment, it tracks straight and drives like new. The only thing I see....and maybe it was always this way, but when driving straight ahead, the steering wheel is slightly off center.... but like I said, it tracks straight and doesn't seem to pull in either direction. Ill get it aligned ASAP!!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Got it all buttoned up after work last night. Took it out for a drive and WOW, what a huge difference. No clunks, no sounds period. Even without alignment, it tracks straight and drives like new. The only thing I see....and maybe it was always this way, but when driving straight ahead, the steering wheel is slightly off center.... but like I said, it tracks straight and doesn't seem to pull in either direction. Ill get it aligned ASAP!!
The alignment will take care of that. Just be sure to let the tech/service writer know when you take it in.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

SUCCESS!! Mechanic got it done for me yesterday. I really had it pretty close is what he said...Drives really sweet.

Front & Rear Suspension overhauled...... CHECK!

Thanks to anyone who commented in my posts and helped answer questions.

Next on the list.....Headers followed by 4.10's
Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice overhaul! It's great to follow a whole rebuild in the works and the bad and good that comes out of it

Quick Reply: One thing leads to another!!!