Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cut shock to salvage spring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cut shock to salvage spring?

Previous owner installed Eibach Pro springs, but kept the stock shocks. I'm looking to install Koni shocks now, but the upper mount is rusted to the top of the shock. I took it to a shop to see if they could get it off, but they couldn't even with their tools specific to that job. The nut came off, but the mount will not slide up and off even with the spring compressed.

Any suggestions on salvaging the springs? I'd rather not buy a new set of springs...

Old 10-27-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be real careful with that with the shock nut removed and the spring not compressed. That spring has alot of energy compressed in there, and if the mount lets loose, someone could get hurt. I am surprised that the pressure of the uncompressed spring doesn't push the mount off.
As a hobbiest (rather than a mechanic), I would put the shock nut back on.

Since the shock mount is in such poor shape, you'll need to get new ones, as well as the isolator that mounts between the shock mount and the shock. Also, you'll need to either get new shock cups (the part the bottom of the spring sits in) unless they came with the shock, as well as the rubber/plastic piece that the bottom of the shock sits in, in the cup.

Wish I could provide better advice; perhaps others have faced a similar problem. when I did mine several months ago it came apart easily.

Good luck with this.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compress the spring and use a cutoff wheel on the strut. Done this before, if the spring is compressed it's safe. You'll likely need new mounts and you'll be able to salvage the springs.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Photochop
Compress the spring and use a cutoff wheel on the strut. Done this before, if the spring is compressed it's safe. You'll likely need new mounts and you'll be able to salvage the springs.
This is exactly how I did mine....it worked well and I was able to reuse the spring and mount.

Quick Reply: Cut shock to salvage spring?