Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are the failure codes for the brake module?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the failure codes for the brake module?

As the title asks -- does the ABS module being damaged throw codes or only the sensors?

History:
My 2000 Z28's brake module makes a sizzling bacon sound when the ignition key is turned to "on". Sounds like a bad electrical connection. It did this when the ABS and TCS both worked. I accidentally shorted 12V to the ABS module ground and then the ABS and TCS are "inop" with codes for the driveshaft sensor and the passenger rear sensor. Should I replace those sensors -- since those are the only codes -- or should I assume the ABS module is damaged and needs replaced?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty sure the ECBM (electronic brake control module) has separate brake system DTC's, like with ABS (anti-lock braking system) codes and if it's damaged or not working it will light up the ABS light on the dash. regular sub $100 code readers may not read or see the DTC because it's a special code.
I know this is true for my 2006 gm truck there are 2 halves to the ABS module, the hydraulic half with all the brake hard lines then the electronic (EBCM) half that clips onto the ABS block and works the pistons. i know for my truck through rockauto i can buy either half separately.
also the abs module is a passive device meaning if it fails then you don't have anti-lock brakes but you still have traditional brakes... it's the electronic part that has failed not the mechanical/hydraulic part.

Quick Reply: Are the failure codes for the brake module?