Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension/tire problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension/tire problems

Yesterday, another driver flagged me down to tell me my rear passenger side wheel was wobbling.

There was no noticeable vibration or sounds.

Today I went to jack up the car ( 2000 Pontiac Trans Am) and noticed the rear passenger side was about 1-1/2" lower ( because I could not fit my jack under) than the rear driver side.

I first checked all the lug nuts, and everything was tight. The wheel looked to be on straight etc.

When I went to jack the car on the frame, the wheel did not want to come up with it. I had to jack the rear side really high to get the wheel off the ground about 1/2"

any suggestions on what to look at or need to replace... rear shock? - still the original ( about 109K miles)

any suggestions or confirmations would be appreciated.

Last edited by TWIN TAs; 02-07-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Teching In

oh, and when pulling into the driveway, the other day, that rear passenger side made a sudden noise, and the rear passenger side now makes noise even when getting in and out of the car

and I did follow my wife driving to verify that the wheel was wobbling a little.
if it is a shock, would that cause the wheel to have a slight wobble ?

Last edited by TWIN TAs; 02-07-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Teching In

I put the wheel back on and will take for another drive shortly.
Maybe the wheel was slightly off mounted.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't quite sound like a mechanical failure ie. suspension component or a bad shock. A bad shock won't make a wheel wobble, however, my first thought would be to check to see if anything is loose and to make sure everything is tight under the rear of your car. I don't believe it's anything in the rear housing as you would notice or at least hear that.

The real question here is the 1 1/2inch lower on one side. Sway bar endlinks come to mind, but that wouldn't make it 1 1/2 inch difference on one side vs. the other...
Old 02-09-2015, 05:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me, it sounds like two different problems have decided to occur at the same time. Ride height changes generally don't create wobbling wheels, and vice versa. At this point, I'd get the car up on a lift and check things thoroughly. Initially, maybe something broke in the differential, and the only thing holding on the rear wheel, is the brake rotor being "contained" by the caliper.

Quick Reply: Suspension/tire problems