Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Spohn Torque Arm

I recently installed a Spohn Torque Arm and DS loop on my A4 98Z28. It's the model that mounts to the frame rather than the transmission tailshaft.

The rearend never howled or made any whining noise day before the install. The rearend was completely rebuilt with new Torsen and 3.73 gear upgrade with less than 4K miles after the rebuild.

There is no whine or noise at all after 65-70 but terrible when decelerating under 50mph. Almost sounds as bad as when the pinion bearing went out on the rearend at 35K.

The noise started immediately after installing the TQ arm.

Pinion angle is set at -1 to Zero degrees.

Anybody else experience this much noise after installing a Spohn. I expect it's noise generating from the rearend and then transmitted trough the torque arm, but don't understand why it does it with the Spohn and not with the stock torque arm.

Any solutions as to how to reduce the noise?

BTW...don't even think about lowering your car, if you intend to install this model. Ground clearance is really reduced. You can see the front brace from the side of the car it hangs so low. Will have to watch it on huge speed bumps.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it the tunnel mount TA? If it is Yes you will hear everything now

I have an older model of that one and you can hear everyhting that is happening in the rear end and tranny.

Do you notice any loud clunking when shifting since the install?