Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotors & pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rotors & pads

So I've been looking different places and through dozens of threads on the rotor/pad conversation and they all end up being consumed by arguments on the effectiveness of drilled/slotted/dimpled etc. in addition to being 5 year old threads on average.

I want a set of 4 blank rotors and a good set of pads for my daily driver ('02 SS) while also being an upgrade but not necessarily track parts. I just want to know what the general consensus is on brand of blank rotor and pads, something with a good cold bite, but also I would prefer something with noncorrosive dust or just low dust but not looking for ceramic. Also where to get them. A lot of the other threads had outdated information. I was going to get some been I blanks but I can't seem to find them for my car anywhere.

Last edited by TcMcDaniel; 09-15-2015 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

just did exactly what you're looking to do. Got plain rotors by Bendix from rockauto for $125 shipped and used Hawk HPS pads. Quieter and less dust than my old pads and more stopping power. two thumbs up
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Teching In

yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. I've had this vibration under moderate braking coming through the pedal and the steering wheel for too long now and it driving me nuts. But I hate to replace stock parts unless I'm making an upgrade as well.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Centric abd Raybestos rotors are also pretty good, and I've heard people say that they had good results/performance out of the Pep Boyz Pro Stop premium ('high carbon content', IF that actually does anything?).

They are ALL made in Sinoland (China) now anyway (except for the EBC stuff, which is at least slotted for the ones made in jolly 'ol England), BUT, there ARE some that are good out of there, and some that I would not even use as paperweights.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would use a good name brand blank and a Hawk pad. I used to run the hps and they had good bite and pedal feel but put out a noticeable amount of dust. That bothered me because I dont drive my car much and every two drives the chrome on the wheels started looking tinted and it drove me crazy.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Teching In

What pads did you switch to then? My SS is my daily driver and I work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, 3 of those days are 16 hour days so I don't have a ton of time to clean my car and by the time I do get around to it, my chrome ZR1's have brake dust caked in the corners and I use the cotton never-dull to clean them up. They look great when I'm done but take a significant amount of labor to get that caked on BS off. You would think with how much I work I could just pay some kid to do this for me lol.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Teching In

All the threads on this topic are from '09-'11 and everybody talks about brembo blanks but I can't find them anywhere.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

That's because they don't exist anymore... and never well made by Brembo. But boxed by them.

I can help if you want to call. Drilled rotors will crack if you drive hard, it's a fact and why you don't see them ever on road race cars and rarely on street cars even these days. See also the C7's not having them... And I know I have a C6Z and have to run a stock rotor in the class I compete... and they crack.

I have really good quality blanks, and a lot of options on slotted too. I have a lot of options on pads as well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's because they don't exist anymore... and never well made by Brembo. But boxed by them.

I can help if you want to call. Drilled rotors will crack if you drive hard, it's a fact and why you don't see them ever on road race cars and rarely on street cars even these days. See also the C7's not having them... And I know I have a C6Z and have to run a stock rotor in the class I compete... and they crack.

I have really good quality blanks, and a lot of options on slotted too. I have a lot of options on pads as well.
Just call the number on your website then?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

You beat me too it... but yeah.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Rotors & pads