Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Basic adjustment questions- BMR Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic adjustment questions- BMR Torque Arm

Ok, let me first say I am a total noob. So if possible, dumb everything down for me as much as you can. THANKS!

Some information- I installed an S60 rear, got a shaft made from PST, and went full BMR on everything. I went with just the basic (mostly) non-adjustable set up mainly because this is JUST a street car and because I like things simple. However the Torque arm and the Relocation cross-member are adjustable, and this is where I need help. This is a M6 car.

The question(s)- How should I adjust the torque arm and/or the relocation cross-member? What do you have yours set to? What kind of vibration/noise did you get which turned out to be "normal" given the set up?

Currently I am getting a noise from what sounds like its coming from the transmission. A hollow type of noise, maybe coming though the driveshaft mainly when not in gear and just rolling freely at 40+ MPH. Could a crappy adjustment cause this? Thanks. Picture provided for a bit of reference.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to set pinion angle

BMR has a video on their website how to do it

If you didn't get the magnetic angle finder with your adjustable torque arm then you can pick one up from harbor freight for like $10
Old 12-09-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to set pinion angle but if it's bad off you will know it cause youll pick up some nasty vibrations at hwy speeds. Youve also mounted the TA to the body and will forever have noise and vibration transmitted into the cab.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You need to set pinion angle but if it's bad off you will know it cause youll pick up some nasty vibrations at hwy speeds. Youve also mounted the TA to the body and will forever have noise and vibration transmitted into the cab.
Yea I figured as much when it comes to the TA relo. I have just heard so many horror stories of broken tail shafts. I didn't want to be "that guy" who didn't take the advice when I asked for it. Right now I do have a plan on Saturday morning to meet with a local and get everything adjusted correctly, considering this guy claims to have all the sweet gear like a DRIVE ON LIFT!

Personally, I just want to know if the clunks and noise I am feeling/hearing are "normal" so that I can drive with confidence. Right now I am not because I have no clue what to look/hear for and everything sounds/feels different. I know that Poly bushings on EVERYTHING are going to kill the ride quality as well. (Wonder if there are rubber replacements...) Once I get everything dialed in, I will make an update. Thanks for the posts!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Body mount torque arm is going to transmit tons of clunks. Normal in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Basic adjustment questions- BMR Torque Arm