Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Rust on brakelines

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Rust on brakelines

Just noticed on my car that I've got some pretty rusty brakelines and I'd like to fix that before this stuff goes through all the way and I have to replace all of them which would be a pain in the ***.

Obviously I can't soak this stuff in some rust removal solution like with tools, so does anyone know of anything that works well and can also stay suspended on parts upsidedown like on these lines?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they're already pretty rusty as you stated, replacement would be your best choice. I wouldn't trust any spray on rust inhibitor on brake lines unless they are clean to begin with.

Try http://www.classictube.com/ for pre-bent stainless lines. I've used them on my truck and the job wasn't as bad as I thought.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They are rusty, but it's only surface rust. I scraped a small straight portion and it cleaned up pretty well after some elbow grease so I know it's not rusted through. But this would not be doable on all of them and I would like to use something that removes and/or converts the rust. Obviously if they are damaged through I would be replacing them, but I don't think it's the case yet.

Quick Reply: Rust on brakelines